Did anyone else get offended by the movie "Gran Torino"?

I almost couldn't sit through it. I didn't think it was right to use such racist names. Uuuugh. I thought it was disturbing!! Yuck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Entertainment

• disturbing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• That's rather the point of the movie, I think.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Could you not tell what it was going to be like from the previews?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• What was the point of the movie? That it is ok to call people names based on their race? I thought it was rude, mean, and it actually did hurt. I would have hated to be a Korean, and to of watched that movie. Racism sucks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• No, I didn't hear anything racist from the previews. Maybe I didn't really pay attention, but I thought the main point of the story was great (standing up against gangs), but to just walk around calling people racial slurs is not right. Not even "in the movies".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• thats what movies do. exploit the truth about stuff.

have you not seen american history x, or crash or anything?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It wasn't the "Care Bears Go To Koreatown"......

Why would you lay out money for a film without reading even one review?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I haven't seen the movie, but if the characters in the movie are supposed to be racist, then maybe they are trying to evoke those feelings in the viewers. Movies do try to create emotion in people. If you were outraged at the racism portrayed in the movie.....and it was disturbing to you, that may have been part of the intent. In this case I admit I don't know the context of the racist portrayals, but most times harsh portrayals are used to make a point of some kind. Whether or not it is really offensive depends on the intent behind the scene rather than what words are used. If the movie is condoning racism, that is offensive. If it is showing how racism may effect people in society, the same words or scenes may be upsetting but not offensive.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I haven't seen the movie, but wasn't it set in a different time. I thought I saw that somewhere. If so that could have something to do with the language. If not then I don't know, just poor judgement I guess those big shot movie people don't realize that the rest of us have grown up.
    Susan262

Answer by Susan262 at 5:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i loved the movie. When the movie staerted i was thinking " i think i should be ofended" . But then I got it . The man laid his life down for someone that he was ordered to hate.
    Meissilly

Answer by Meissilly at 5:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2009