Organ donation

If organs are donated, does the deceased's family have to pay for the surgery (removal?) I know insurance would most likely cover it, but what about those without insurance? I read several months back some states wanted to "buy" organs (give money to families of deceased) but I think it died in the water. I still think it would be a great idea; if the person is brain dead they're basically dead imo, I know that opinion varies by person. Give my organs to somebody with a chance of life, but at least waive my hospital stay or help pay for my funeral! Thoughts on any of this, or the transplant system in general?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• my husbands organs were donated this past july. the hospital does not charge the family of either the donor or the recipient for the removal.

we went through lifebanc. after the official time of death is called then it is the finacial responsibility of the organ donation services to pay for any testing, surgery, or any costs that come up after death has been called.
    before that it is your resposibility.

for my husband to die the hospital billed us 70,000. that was befoe insurance, & lifebanc were billed. i ended up paying only 300.

make sure that all your family knows your wishes. we had to have security inthe waiting room to seperate the families becasue my husbands family was unreasonable. they didn't know his wishes to donate or to be creamted. it was a horrible time for us.
    we've heard from the family who recieved his heart. they were nice letters.

justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 6:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Actually, I think that's a great idea. I don't know all the details but it sounds fair. It would probably encourage (sp) a lot more people to donate their organs. Who knows, maybe then we could afford to find cures for some of the crappy diseases that are killing us off.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 3:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The hospital does not charge for the removal of organs destined for transplant. I am not sure if they charge for removal of organs to be used for research, but why would they? No, they can't give you any credit for the hospital or funeral bill or pay for organs to be transplanted into someone else, because the sale of organs is prohibited in the US. It is legal in some other countries, and there are medical reports of some people in third world countries selling their organs to put food on the table. The idea is, you have two kidneys, sell one for $10,000 and live easy for a year... this is exploitation of the worst kind.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i think its good that people are willing to donate their organs to save a life.... i want to do that... but on my id it says i am not an organ donater only because I THINK if the doctors know that, they will not try as hard to save you so they can use your organs that are in so high of demand

but to answer the question.. not sure if they would charge your family... but that would be wrong....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Leaving this planet with all my pieces. Not an organ donor supporter.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 5:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• snowgirl79...that's kind of selfish don't you think? What good are your decomposing organs going to do for you once you're worm food?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Top 10 myths about being an organ donor.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organ-donation/FL00077

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• That sounds pretty good,actually. I have long said, I want to be an organ donor,if at all possible. I'd want someone to donate to save me,or my loved one,and I feel I need to do the same in return.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I am an organ donor and proud to be one. I know for a fact that doctors DO ALL THEY CAN TO SAVE A LIFE BEFORE ANY PERSON IS CONSIDERED A CANDIDATE TO DONATE ORGANS. I know this b/c my sister runs an organ donor program at a huge NY teaching hospital. It is illegal to cut off life support if there is still hope of some sort of viable life for the indivudual. Unless a person has a DNR (do Not Resucitate) order, every effort humanly possible needs to be made to sustain life.
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• ...and ULTIMATELY, whether or not you agreed to be an organ donor, your next of kin has the power to accept or deny your wishes!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:48 AM on Jan. 18, 2009