How long is too long to be in a relationship with your SO and still not married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• as for me if you are still not married and living together for 3 years that is long enough.
    MisV

Answer by MisV at 3:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• That's up to you.
    Do YOU want to get married?
    What about HIM?
    WHY arent you married?

There is no shame in not being legal..
    HOWEVER - if it leaves you feeling unstable in your relationship, and you believe that he doesn't WANT to marry you, or possibly has reasons for holding out, beyond reasons you've both agreed on (for myself, personally, I've got tax benefits coming out the ying yang still being single. I'm not ready to give those up yet) then you may want to re-evaluate the relationship.

But FIRST- TALK to him.. If you can't communicate about this, then honey, you're not READY to be married!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i dont think theirs an actual limit.. i mean i've been with my SO for 4 yrs and still not married its not that we dont want too. but it just hasnt happened i guess.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 4:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I LIVED WITH MY BOYFRIEND FOR 10 YEARS BEFORE WE GOT MARRIED WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED NOW FOR 4 1/2 YEARS SOME PEOPLE JUST NEVER GET MARRIED !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• it all depends on the relationship really... its something you both got to want... omg don't ever get married for the wrong reasons..." we've been together this long" or " we have kids so we should" it will never work..... you both got to love each other for real and know you want to spend the rest of your lives together.....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You can be together for your life without being married... if you want to.

There is no need to get married unless you want it and feel like it. Love doesnt need to be proven by a ring and/or signature.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Well, look at Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. They have been together unmarried for like 20 or more years and are as happy as a frog on a lily pad. Being married doesn't mean you will be happy. If you are happy the way you are, then thats a good thing.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• As long as you're happy what does it matter?
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• That is really up to you. I was raised the old fashion way. So I never lived with my husband till we got married. But my brother lives with his girl freind and they are as happy as can be. I think it is all up to you. Have a Great Sunday!
    ahunsicker

Answer by ahunsicker at 8:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• ..when one of you wants to be married and the other doesn't, that is how long.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2009