can an infant learn to read??

i've recently seen a tv show promoting early teaching of infants to read and actually a 9 month old girl could read or even point out things on flash cards so is this pushing a child to learn... anyway i'm interested but the shipping is only within the us and i'm a foreigner so i can't get the kit so does anyone know any alternatives?? and is it eaven healthy to push it that early since my daughter is 9 months old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's a bunch of crap. An infant can memorize things, not learn to read.

Watch Penn & Teller.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• How would you know if they could read when they can't really talk?

It's not reading...it's rote memorization. Kids need to know how to sound words out.

And why pay for some "system" to do something you can do yourself? It's a money making scheme, plying on a parent's desire to "have what's best for my baby" and ripping parents off all the time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• A child loves to hear their parents reading them a story even at a young age. they love the emotions put into it and all. As far as reading at 9 months, no they can't. They can't talk. All you have to do is when your child starts to talk is teach her things(abc's, numbers, etc) and when she gets to about 3-4 she will know a lot. She can be reading at 4, and I know this because I did this with both of my daughters and they were reading, writing before Kindergarten. Don't pay a lot of money for something you can do at home with whatever you have. You can do it just by buying childrens books at a 2nd hand store. They will be learning everyday,and how you teach them is what is going to help them.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think they can. I was reading by 3 and full books. My kids always got flashcards. Yes it is memorization but that is what reading and learning is. Remember what sounds go together, what picture is associated with a letter etc.

Answer by gemgem at 8:21 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Reading is not all memorization. Part of it is, since there are "sight words" but reading in general is so much more then memorization!

Recognizing the look of the word "cat" and being able to recall it and write it are two different things. My mom's generation was taught reading by sight...and that entire generation of my family are the most horrible spellers I've ever met. My uncle even admits that he can't spell because of the way they were taught to read...he never learned to sound words out to spell them correctly.

My 3 year old is doing some reading and some writing. He has the ability to sound words out and spell them on his own as well. THAT is much more important in my book than knowing what a word LOOKS like in print and what picture goes with it.

No, a 9 month old cannot truly read.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think everyone is right. I just dont see it possible! My daughter is 11 months old and she loves her books but she hasnt learned how to read them yet!
    sweetheart254

Answer by sweetheart254 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009