When can I feed my child rice cereal?

My daughter is almost 2 months old, she can hold her head on her own and it seems that her formula isn't doing the trick; she just cries and cries. I know the doctor says 4 months before giving them cereal and jar foods.

But what about putting cereal in her bottle? Do you think she could handle it? She eats 4 oz every 2 1/2 to 3 hours (3 hours if lucky).

She's not fat either, you would think if a baby is eating that much that she would be a chunky one.

I'm from the south (originally Kentucky) and my mom was feeding me mashed potatoes at 2 months old.

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried increasing the amount of formula in a bottle, by like taking it to 5 or 6 ounces, your LO might not need as many bottles that way. With my LO I had to gradually increase his bottles throughout time by adding an ounce.

I started my LO on cereal a little before his four month checkup. I would just give him a tiny bit (three or four baby spoon fulls) at night to help him sleep through the night. I've been told not to put the cereal in the bottle because of choking hazards, but to spoon feed it to the LO, by both WIC and my pediatrician.

Hope everything works out for you!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 9:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Don't put cereal in her bottle. If she's still hungry then give her more in her bottle!

Four ounces is nothing compared to my guys....they were taking 8oz every 2 hours at 6 weeks.

You do what you're comfortable with.....but if you're going to start cereal use a bowl and spoon (personally, I'd wait until she's 4 months and just feed her more in her bottle because she is hungry!!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Unfortunately, even baby rice cereal isn't broken down enough for a little ones tummy, yet. Remember that our digestive system requires the use of saliva to begin the process of breaking down foods so that when it enters the stomach, the gut doesn't have to do all the work. Babies glands don't begin to secrete the saliva till their are around 3 1/2 to 4 mo. or older, which then creates the drooling effect. LOL Hence, many parents think that baby is teething.
    I realize that thru the ages Pediatricians recommended baby rice cereal in the bottle (in the 50's), and so parents have perpetuated that idea, but taking common knowledge into account, we want to care the best for baby's stomach, and so I would not introduce any solids till the saliva is present. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think if you really think cereal in her bottle will help then try it out! Just a little sprinkle is really all you need. As for the chocking hazard, just watch your baby while she drinks it and she'll be fine. If you're worried talk to your doctor and he can guide you in the right direction.

You'll get a wide range of strongly opinionated answers here. From feeding her at 1 week old to starting solids at 1 yr. But no one knows what's right for your baby except you. Also, a lot of people will tell you that rice cereal is "wall paste" and you shouldn't even feed it to your little one, but it's not. It's the best source of iron that a baby can get and should stay in the baby's diet until at least 1 yr old.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My baby had loads of saliva at 8 weeks, so we can't judge that her baby is already drooling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The best source of iron is either formula or breast milk....cereal isn't even a necessity!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Do your reading. The iron in breast milk and formula is not enough after 6 months and needs to be supplemented by cereal. At least 1 meal a day until the child turns 1.

Just think, we don't only eat fruits, veggies, and meats. We have our morning oatmeal, cereals, our rice with chicken for dinner- so why shouldn't babies?
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• babies usually tell you when they are ready with my DD she could not physically drink more than 5 oz with out spitting some back up but would be hungry again in an hour and a half so I started feeding her a few tablespoons of very soupy cereal in the morning and it really did help sustain her a little better and keep her satisfied with her milk throughout the day, I do recoomend using a spoon to feed and not a bottle it takes a week or so before they really get the hang of it but it is better to build their motor skills.
    gonnahavababy

Answer by gonnahavababy at 10:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• From what you are describing...that is actually normal for a baby that age... they should be eating every 2.5-3 hours. Honestly, I would just increase the amount in the bottle until she is older. We do put rice cereal in our dd's bottle and have since she was 11 weeks old, but it is because she has reflux. She is going to be 6 months on the 4th and is also on solids now. At your dd's age, she really just needs formula or breast milk unless otherwise dictated by a physician. GL!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• well, I was told by my sons pediatrtion to put my son on rice cereal at 6 weeks. he would not eat more than 4oz bottles cuz he just got tired of sucking. he has been on it ever since and is growing and is great, happy and healthy :)
    livin4kids

Answer by livin4kids at 10:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2009