What can I do to naturally boost my 18 month olds immunity?

Brianna started daycare when she was 15months. She quit breastfeeding at 13 months. She has been getting sick almost every week since she began daycare. I know that it is part of her going to "shool" or being around alot of other children, but I want to know if there is anything I can do to help her immune system. The daycare uses gloves for diaper changes, requires lids for bottles, and you pick your child up if they are sick and can not bring them back without a doctor's approval. So, I don't really know what to say to them. I like the daycare she goes to and I don't have another option for childcare other than switching daycares.

Soul_Searcher

Asked by Soul_Searcher at 9:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter get's animal parade multivitamins. She chews them and loves them and has since hse was around 18 months old.

I also use Herbs for Kids liquid sweet echinacea. It naturally builds their immune system. :)

Eating healthy also helps.

You can build an immune system without getting sick. If the immune system is strong, an illness wont be devastating, but the antibodies will still be produced. Think chicken pox, a person can not get chicken pox but still have developed the immunities to it and they never got they symptoms.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would start feeding her organic. She will be that way for a bit because she has never been in that environment but it will get better.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I make these smoothies for my kids and they seem to not get as sick as often as they used to. Mine dont go to daycare but when they hit kindergarten we had similiar issues.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4455975_boost-immune-system-naturally.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Answer by gemgem at 9:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Switching daycares won't do anything....she'll still get sick.

Kids will, on average, have 6-8 colds per year. It seems like it's more because they always seem to cluster together in the winter months. (at least for us lol)

As for the precautions the day care is taking, that's about all they can do. A kid sneezes on a toy then your kid picks it up. A kid wipes his nose with his hand then touches your kids arm...

She is building her immunity with each illness...her body learns to fight it off. Some kids have a natural higher immunity than others, too.

As for natural immunity builders....talk to your pediatrician and see what he recommends for YOUR daughter...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The more illnesses she gets the more immunity she has, I'm not saying make her more sick but just bare that in mind, that everytime she gets something she's building it up and it means less illness in future. Just stick with it, make sure she's topped up on her vitamins so she can beat things easily. :)
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Taking effective vitamins should help.
    GigglesRN69

Answer by GigglesRN69 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009