Has anyone tried this before?

We have two large lots on our property, but alot of trees. We want to plant a garden along the south wall of the house (between house and driveway) but the area is very narrow (house sits on the south side of the property). I was thinking of raised beds (the 4 x 8 foot kind) and I found a book called Square Foot Gardening. it's supposed to maximize your veggie yield by using a grid on the beds and planting one kind of veggie/fruit in each square. Using this formula I can get 3 beds along the house w/ over 90 squares. Anyone tried it before? Does it work?

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 9:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• thing you have to remember is, although you're planning on 1 sq ft..some of your plantings will take up much more space. some are rather leafy/leggy and tend to spread out, while some, such as tomatoes/peppers, can move upward, if you stake them. also, remember that some plantings will yield more 'fruit' than others, so its not necessary to plant as many..unless you're also planning on giving your harvest away! but, done properly, it should give you plenty of room to maneuver between most plants, for weeding and such.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• that's sort of what I was thinking - we also can our own veggies and definetly want to put by a larger supply this coming year (the stuff we did last year was gone in under a month, thanks to in-laws who wanted to "try" what we canned to see if it was worth the hassle - despite the fact that hubby and i have been canning for 18 years and every year they need to "sample" it :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Yes, but in square foot gardening, your larger vines grow up on trellises. So if you are planting say cucumbers you train the vines to grow up the trellis and then hold up the fruit with netting as it appears. I have tried this and it works well. But you have to be careful you don't shade the garden with the trellised plants as they grow.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009