does anyone have a child who stutters?

My baby girl is 4 yrs old and she stutters. It started around age 2. I spoke to a few speech pathologist and they said to ignore it, it will go away. she is in preschool now...I spoke to her teacher about it and she said not to worry and that it isn't considered stuttering but more a hesitation in her speech. She also said she's very articulate for her age and she's thinking faster than she can speak. I'm confused!!! Can anyone help me with this one?

mittensoup

Asked by mittensoup at 10:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just wait. My son stuttered from age two until he was about 5. He speaks perfectly now(at 10). It's pretty common toddlers to stutter.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My son 4 year old-gets really excited when he has something important to me-sometimes he stutters. But I don't think that it is a problem-just his brain moving faster than his mouth can handle. I tell him to slow down.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would ask for a stuttering assessment from the speech pathologist. The assessment will make you feel better and will also indicate if there is a need for speech therapy. The school district that you live in should do the testing. Call you local school board and ask for the special education department and say that you want your child tested for stuttering. Chilren at age 3 are eligible for services from the school districts.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Stuttering is normal when children are learning how to speak. As the preschool teacher and previous posters said, she's probably thinking faster than she can speak - it takes a long time for children to get the muscles in their mouth working to speak as quickly as they can think the words! One thing to consider is to make sure you're not pushing her to speak faster or finish her sentences sooner - just make sure you're giving her all the time she needs to finish her words and arrange them in the order she wants. Parents who push their children to hurry up and finish their sentences can stress the children about speaking. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I had to bite my tongue and wait for my son to finish what he was trying to say...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I have to agree with the above poster. My son is 5 now but up until a year ago he stuttered. Sometimes it got so bad he would get discouraged and just stop what he was saying. I'll tell ya, the look on his face just broke my heart. I think it's important to look her in the eye when she is talking to you, nod your head that you understand and just be very patient with her and let her know it's okay. Don't finish her sentences...let her. I remember sometimes this could be hard because I may have been busy and feeling a bit impatient...but I'm sure the added anxiety would only make the stuttering worse.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 2:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Also, I have to add that I spoke with his teacher and she felt the same...He had a lot to say...and couldn't process it vocally as fast as his thoughts. She also, was very patient. As I mentioned, he's five now and doesn't stutter anymore.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 2:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My son started to stutter around the age of three. My pediatrician told me that they just get excited when they try to talk and they don't think of things before they say them and NOT TO WORRY. He still does it once in a blue moon and he is 4 1/2 now. They grow out of it. When your daughter starts, just tell her to stop, calm down and speak slowly. But don't get mad or yell at her cause that will bring attention to it and she'll do it more.
    dhalinka

Answer by dhalinka at 4:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Stuttering is the sign of a very intelligent child. Do not make your child feel bad about himself for suttering. This is an important time to encourage good thinking and complement the good ideas the child says. Do not focus on the stuttering just ask the child to SLOW down and tell you his good ideas. Then remember to complement his thoughts. The speech will heal itself. My son repeats the first half of his sentence over and over and then finally finishes his thought. The child is so intelligent but doesn't have the vocabulary to say exactly what he is thinking. When the vocabulary widens the stuttering will go away!
    divinevictory

Answer by divinevictory at 5:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009