What do you do with the Valentine's your kids got at school?

I'm really tempted to just throw them away since she doesn't keep them in one place. There are so many too. What do you do with them?

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 12:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• eventually, the discarded card fairy comes along and sends the cards to their grave. or at least that's what I tell my kids.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• I tried to throw them away yesterday but my son caught me, so they are now in his room and they are his problem. :)
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• They keep them in the boxes they made for them for a while, but eventually they'll get thrown away without the kids knowledge. 5 years in, I've never been caught!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 1:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• currently they are still in the bag on the kitchen counter. I will throw them away at some point when he forgets about them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• my ds still has the cards from last year/kindergarten, in the box he made last year. alas, he's going to be sentimental, just like his daddy and never want to throw anything away.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• Wow, i cant believe so many people throw them away?~!?!? That is so sad! lol I have kept them all from k to now, i have several containers i put their school projects/drawings etc i put them in there.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• At the moment they are in the bag they arrived home in yesterday. Over the weekend we'll discuss what ones we want to hang on to for a bit longer and what can be tossed.

DS will likely toss them all then - keep the candy, the pencils, the tattoos he does not deem too "girlie" and toss the cards. DD will hold onto a few cards and cut them to bits and pieces to use in her various craft projects. At some point a heart from this card or an animal from that one is going to end up on a collage she's developing in her brain at the moment. ;)

Anything left by Easter is in the trash unless they can make a case for saving it in some reasonable format or place.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• Minimo, I simply do not have the space to keep everything that comes home from school. Their art papers, tests, reports, etc - we pick out a few special pieces every year to hold onto and file it away. It's neat to go back and look at those art projects from preschool, etc. Their reports are usually saved on the computer so we hold onto a few of the ones the teacher has commented on and the rest get recycled. However, I can't hold onto to all the little generic boxed valentine's that lack any sort of personal sentiment, etc. There are cards that aren't even addressed to a particular student because it the 4th grader that handed them out felt it was just easier to sign his name and randomly drop his card in a bag. There's no sentimentality in holding on to that, honestly.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• i let them keep them. as they get left laying around or ripped up or whatever, they get tossed.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• my son said he wanted to keep his..he can as long as I don't see them laying around the house. Eventually they will be thrown away
    Anonymous