How open are you?

How open or vocal are you about your beliefs? Why do you choose to be so secretive or so open about your beliefs?

This is mainly for those who do not have beliefs that are considered mainstream but everyone please feel free to answer.

PLEASE DO NOT BASH OR MAKE RUDE COMMENTS ABOUT THE BELIEFS OF OTHERS...THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS QUESTION IS INTENDED FOR.

Thank you ladies.

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 10:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To answer my own question...I am very open. 

I believe it is the only way to end the fear of the unknown and to stop stigmas that surround my beliefs.  I will not bring up religion at work (simply because I was always raised/taught it was inappropriate). 

I love when people ask me about my beliefs and my religion.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I'm not usually vocal unless I am asked about my beliefs. Or unless I am defending them. I prefer to remain quiet because my beliefs aren't wildly popular and I don't go looking for drama. I have enough going on in my life that I must fight for on a daily basis without religion or lack of being one of them. So why am I here?? Looking for people I have something in common with to chat with. It's nice to talk to people who are older than 8 yrs. old. Though I gotta admit sometimes my eight year old is more coherent and grown up. LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I am not a religious type person.I am not vocal about it either. I don't announce it to the world 'I'M AGNOSTIC". Or every time I meet some one. I just don't think it is anyone elses business what  I believe. Or don't believe in.

Answer by louise2 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I'm only open about my beliefs if asked. Or if someone says something incorrect about agnosticism.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Agnostics don't eat rice.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 11:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Or is it hominy?
    laranadtony

• Depends on the situation. There are entire passages about the difference between those who are wise and those who just want to make everyone think they are. I posted one the other day, and of course, it flew right over the head of the person it was directed to. It is a very fine line between sharing and proselytizing, and I find the latter to be offensive. I consider it the ultimate arrogance to assume your own state of faith is so superior to someone else's that you are duty bound to educate them so they can be as spiritual and good as you are. If someone asks, and is genuinely interested, rather than just a troll looking for a fight, I'll give them more info, but it's not my place to attempt to convert anyone - if they really are ready to know, they'll find it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• LOL =] Eh, I love rice, hominy is alright but I wouldn't eat it every day.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I will talk about what I believe if asked. I don't feel I need to 'advertise' what I believe. Most of my acquaintances probably have no clue what faith I am. Of those that do, they still probably don't know what Buddhism entails. That is fine by me... I am not out to recruit. I find great peace and happiness on this path but don't feel it's the only path and don't think anyone needs to be saved or otherwise redirected to follow my path.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• In my day to day life religion rarely ever comes up, but my family, friends and neighbours know I'm an atheist.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2009