Annoying optimism in a dangerous situation

My current job has been in deficit twice this month. cutbacks are eminent and I've notices that I am being micro-monitored. I have lots of debt. The area doen't have enough economy to support my financial needs. I am very scared. I am trying my best to find a solution.

The issue is, while I am trying to find a concrete solution, people are telling me to "cross that bridge when I get there", "you don't know for sure, why are you freaking", "things will work their way out", and "just pray, God will help you".

Not only have I lost faith in prayer a long time ago, but I feel very isolated with empty statements like these. How do you moms handle mindless statements like these when you are looking for direction in a dangerous situation?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• I ask the people who have the answers and who are willing to give them to me. Your employer may be able to arrange free financial counseling for people in your boat. Ask around for references to help you. I know of a free Christian service called Crown Ministries at .org. I also read Suze Orman's books and follow her advice. You need to get those anwers for yourself from people who are in a position to tell you the truth and work with you. The people you are asking are trying to encourage you and/or they don't want to get into it with you and rightly so. It's your business. You need to manage it.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Get your resume in shape and start scouting around for other jobs. Just in case.

Answer by Bmat at 10:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• What is the "dangerous" situation? Or are you speaking of the situation being "stressful?" Definitely there is stress when you are thinking about the possibilities of losing your income. Be sure and prepare yourself as much as possible financially. There are several things you can do. I would try to eliminate any expenditures that aren't a true necessity. While many consider cable, satellite tv, etc a necessity, it really is not, so lower these or cut them off and encourage the children to help think of ways to save money. Every dollar you can set aside will help if the worst comes. I do financial counceling in order to help families cope with debt so that they are prepared.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree with Bmat. Just prepare for the worst. Look for jobs, work up a resume, save money, do anything you can do to prepare yourself. I'm the same way as you are. Though I believe in God, it annoys me when someone says "pray about it." Grrr.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009