My daughter was sent to the principal's office for standing up for her beliefs.

My 8th grader rides the school bus with a young girl is as my daughter puts it who has been getting harassed for weeks now because she listed herself as bi-sexual on her FB account. This morning on the way to school when the girl got on the bus some of the older boys pelted the girl with large rocks and my daughter got up to shield her with her book bag and actually got a black eye herself from one of the rocks. The bus was stopped and didn't resume it's course until the kids could calm themselves down. Side note - I really want to know why those kids who were on the bus throwing rocks and so forth weren't put off the bus. To me that would have posed a physical threat to everyone's (including the bus driver) safety, but anyway.

Once they arrived at school only my daughter and the young girl were detained. My daughter was asked why she felt the need to get involved and she spoke up and said "someone had to or she could have gotten seriously hurt and then you'd really have a problem on your hands instead of just a few scraps and bruises you'll some how cover up". The principal didn't like that response and she told my daughter that she had no right to get herself involved in a matter that had nothing to do with the school. To which my daughter said "no disrespect but what about her rights? everybody knows that she likes girls - so what but what about the fact that she has the right to like whoever, to get to school safely, get an education and go about her day without having all the stuff she has done to her on a daily basis?"

The principal has called me here at work and told me that if my daughter takes it upon herself to get involved in a situation that doesn't directly involve her that she will be forced to take a more punishable action. When I asked based on what grounds I was told that social websites such as FB create problems outside the school premises and the school has no regulations on how to deal with he said she said problems and issues that arise. I was told to talk to my daughter and explain that if she knows of something than the proper thing to do is to speak to an adult, ie. teacher, guidance counselor or other authority. I also asked what was being done if anything to those who were throwing objects and was told that proper action was being handled. YEAH RIGHT!

I just spoke with my daughter and she says that now kids are saying she stood up for her cuz she must be gay too. She told me that she hates to see other kids get picked on for the dumbest things. She said that gay people and bisexuals are no different than anybody else they like who they like and that's it. I think I'm going to have to go to her school to straighten things out but I'm so proud of her for standing up for herself, beliefs and for the rights of others.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• great job momma!!!!!! you raised 1 hell of a girl!!! great job op's dd keep up the good work and f the principal!!!!!your gonna be a life saver 1 day!!
    mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 3:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• You should be proud of her and I cannot the believe the school is telling you this. I'd be down there in a hot second throwing a fit about them DOING something about the kids who were throwing rocks
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• for one, the bus can't very well drop-off kids at an unknown location, due to behavior. the driver's responsibility it to deposit them at the school.
    for the other, the principal seems to forget that when the kids are on the school bus, they are essentially on school property, and thus, it wouldn't matter what the issue was..it happened on school property. and you betcha, i'd have my butt up in the principal's face for forgetting her responsibility, while overlooking the deed your dd did.
    i'd go to court or jail before i allowed my dd to be responsible for the trouble caused by the other kids, and yes, i'd make a huge stink of the whole thing. (i'm pretty famous for public notices, letters to the newspaper, etc.)
    that principal shirked her duties, and should be 'punished' herself.
    btw..kudos to your dd!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• So... your DD took a stand against bullying and the school is not backing her.... time to call every news agency you can.... they will eat that up!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• This brought tears to my eyes... i am so proud of your dd... you have raised an amazing girl
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 3:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• Your DD is awesome!! And seriously, I'd be raising hell right now if I were you. What on earth does FB have to do with any of it? Just because this girl's FB page says she is bisexual doesn't mean your DD or other kids wouldn't have known about it another way. The principal sounds like a grade-A idiot (and a coward) for trying to pass responsibility off onto you/your DD, instead of doing something about the real problem (the kids throwing rocks). I mean, unbelievable. In what twisted universe does the kid protecting someone else from bullies end up in trouble?
    Spotoftea

Answer by Spotoftea at 3:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• Well, gosh no one is asking the school to regulate facebook but they certainly can regulate the behavior on the bus. As Dulls already said it IS school property. Your DD did nothing wrong. So what she got involved? Is that all they are accusing her of?? People get 'involved' in things all the time. Good and bad. It's life. I do not see how they can punish positive involvement. She did not throw the rocks back. She did not verbally harass anyone. She protected another child who was being bullied. What is wrong with this school!?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• Boo! My first post didn't post. Guess it was the rude gesture I had aimed at the school.

For your daughter:

bow downyou rockway to go

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• If the school is not responsible for what happens on the bus, then why did they call her into the office? Either they are (they are) or they aren't. Call the board of education and have the bus situation addressed, as well as the situation with your daughter's principle. I'm sorry she was hurt and is now on the receiving end of bullying, but you know and I know she did the right thing. The other children should be disciplined and the bus driver reprimanded for not addressing the antagonists.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• My daughter must have exchanged cell phone numbers because my daughter just received a call from the young girls mum and says that she'd like to talk to me when I get home from work and possibly take my daughter out to lunch this weekend. Evidently, her daughter is new to the school and had to leave the last school because of bullying and that my daughter is the first person to talk to her or try to stand beside her or anything.

I'll speak to the mum tonight and let you all know how it goes.
    Ladybugkisses76

Comment by Ladybugkisses76 (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2012