pedialyte????

my three month old has bronchitis and his formula is just making him more flemmy and hes gaging on it can i introduce pedialyte to him or is he too young still????

cortneyashton

Asked by cortneyashton at 11:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Health

• you can give it to him
    marissad

Answer by marissad at 11:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• you can give it to him if he pukes dulite the pedialite
    aidensmommy18_2

Answer by aidensmommy18_2 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think you can give it to him. Might be best to ask his ped though to be sure...or a pharmasist.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Im pretty sure you can but Id call the on call nurse to make sure.

Answer by gemgem at 11:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would check with the doctor. I don't think it would hurt him, but if you replace formula with it he will be missing out on all the nutrients in the formula. My doctor said only to give pedialyte when they have diarrhea or vomiting because that's how they loose the electrolytes.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Call your pedi first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• he has diareah and i wasn't going to substitute his formula i would just give like an ounce in between feedings

Anonymous

• didnt mean to click anonymous
    cortneyashton

Answer by cortneyashton at 12:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Talk to your pediatrician. If he's still taking his formula, that's more important than pedialyte. If he has diarrhea, pedialyte is going to make that worse.

Continue with his formula and watch him for dehydration.

It's strange that he has a diagnosis of bronchitis at such a young age. (to me due to what I've been told by our pediatrician) Mine had bronchiolitis several times as infants. It's worrisome, I know.

Keep his head elevated, run either steam or cool mist vaporizer in his room, use the snot sucker as you see snot in his nose. Give him some tylenol for discomfort....

Try to suction him a bit before a feeding...that may help. The diarrhea is probably from all the mucous working through his system (that's what happens to my guys)

Talk to your pediatrician, though....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• thanks for all the advise guys
    cortneyashton

Answer by cortneyashton at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009