When can you give babies water?

My baby is a month old today and I was wondering, when can you give babies water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In the hosp they give them sugar water dont they? Im guessing you can give it to them whenever.

Answer by gemgem at 11:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• No you can't give them water, it strips potassium and sodium much faster in babies.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I was told by my pediatrician to not give my daughter water. She's three weeks old. She told me that she gets all the fluids she needs through her formula, and breastfed babies get all they need through breastmilk. Here's an interesting link I found when I googled your question:

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/foodnutrition/article.jsp?content=1240
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/giving-water-to-baby.html
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:31 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I was told two different things.

1. Give them about an ounce of water when they have diaper rashes.

2. Give them an ounce of water everyday throughout the day.

BUT if you breastfeed, drink plenty of water, and that's all they need. OR if you bottle feed, just water down the formula a bit.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• There is no need to give water. Her diet is fluid, be it breast or formula. If she seems dehydrated, a good way to check is to look for sinking in her soft spot, up your intake of fluids if breastfeeding or offer more formula at feedings. The babies stomach is very small and when you give them water it needlessly replaces vital nutrients they need.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Do NOT water down formula!! That's dangerous!! There is a specific reason the directions say to mix it the way the way it is written! Just a little while ago there was a story in the national news about a baby who died because it's mom watered down the formula!!

Babies do NOT need water as long as they are drinking formula or breast milk! There is no need to give them water ever.

IF you introduce juice later, it is recommended to water down the juice because of the sugar in juice. But that isn't until they are older, around 6 months when food is started at least.

Check with your pediatrician. There could be exceptions depending where you live...if you're in a hotter, dryer climate it may be recommended you give a little extra...but do NOT give water unless under the guidance of a pediatrician!!!

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Oh...and as for sugar water, the only time any of my boys had ANY sugar water was putting it on my nipples in an attempt to get them to latch on...just a few drops. They do NOT give them a full "drink" of sugar water!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I have 3 kids ages 5, 3 and 18m. I was always told no water until they are 12 months. In the infant stages they need all the nutrition they can get and water doesn't offer it.
    kerye1016

Answer by kerye1016 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009