I am 26 weeks pregnant. My first big us my baby was 4 days behind schedule and then Friday my baby is 5 days behind schedule. I work a stressful job and my blood pressure was high Friday I told my doctor it was because I had a stressful day at work but he said hell check it monday and if its high Monday I have to go on bedrest has anyone had a experience with any of this?

I am really worried and I only get 14 weeks leave.

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had to go on bedrest, but only for 3 weeks, then they induced me because my BP just got higher and higher, putting me at risk for pre-eclampsia. If you're put on bedrest, your boss HAS to allow it. The 14 wks policy only means that after 14 wks of leave, your job is no longer protected by the FMLA. BUT your boss is the one that decides if he'll allow you to come back after you are ready to work. Just because it says 14 wks, doesn't mean that you're necessarily fired after that. Who knows, after a week or two of bedrest, you may be fine again and be able to work. Just be sure to be open with your boss, and do what the doctor tells you.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• If you go on bed rest for pregnancy you will qualify for disability pay -- if you have that insurance. It usually pays you about 66% of your regular rate. You might speak to HR and see what kind of coverage you have and how it works with your FMLA/maternity leave. Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I had to go on bed rest at 37 weeks and was induced at 38 weeks because the BP wouldn't come down. With this pregnancy(I'm 27 weeks) my blood pressure has been high off and on. I have to see the dr. every couple of weeks for this reason. He said if it was continuosly high, he would have to consider meds to keep it down. Like the first poster said, a couple of weeks of bed rest may bring it down. Good luck!
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Another tip is try evaluating anything else other than work that brings you added stress. I am 17 wks with twins and last week I had so much anxiety and my mind was racing with everything that I decided I needed to cut back on things I'm doing, so I dropped out of a Master's class I was taking that was giving me 10 addl hours of work (stress!) each week. I feel better already!
    L_Bass

Answer by L_Bass at 2:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2009