what can medically HAPPEN?

when your body is EXTREMELY swollen? if its already to the point of extreme what can occur?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• preeclampsia
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 12:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• so even if you dont have preeclampsia and you start swelling badly like that, you can get preeclampsia within that time if you dont stay off of your feet?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Edema (swelling) can be a sign of pre-eclampsia but not necessarily. That is only the case if it is accompanied by high blood pressure and protein in the urine. The swelling in it of itself is not dangerous although it is very uncomfortable. If it gets very bad it can affect circulation in the legs so you should elevate you legs as much as you can to help alleviate it. Best of luck.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 12:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Pre-eclampsia is diagnosed when a pregnant woman develops high blood pressure (two separate readings taken at least 4 hours apart of 140/90 or more) and 300 mg of protein in a 24-hour urine sample (proteinuria). A rise in baseline BP of 30 systolic or 15 diastolic, while not meeting the absolute criteria of 140/90 is still considered important to note but no longer diagnostic. Swelling, or edema, (especially in the hands and face) was originally considered an important sign for a diagnosis of pre-eclampsia, but in current medical practice only hypertension and proteinuria are necessary for a diagnosis. However, pitting edema (unusual swelling, particularly of the hands, feet, or face, notable by leaving an indentation when pressed on) can be significant and should be reported to your health-care provider.
    miriamz

• actually miriamz you do not have to have high blood pressure or protein in the urine, those are just the MOST common symptoms.
    but yeah it will just effect the circulation in wherever you are swelling.
    Anonymous

• what happens when my circulation is affected?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Anon I was just saying that they will not diagnose preclampsia based on edema alone.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 12:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I started swelling around 20 wks, and as my pregnancy progressed it just got worse and worse. By 35 wks, I had hypertension (high blood pressure) and edema. I got put on bedrest because that can put you in to pre-eclampsia. I had to be induced at 38 wks because I went into Stage 2 Hypertension (which is the highest stage, and can put you into seizures). Now after the baby, I have to take blood pressure medicine for 6 wks because my BP actually went higher, and I'm STILL at risk for eclampsia. Just be very careful with it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Just try to elevate your legs to help minimize the swelling if you can. If you are concerned speak with your health care provider.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 12:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• ugh... i have an appt on mon and i do keep asking questions on pre eclampsia to find out more info and im sure people are irritated with it lol but im really nervous to get my results back on my urine test. im swelling majorly and even elevating my feet over night my body is still swollen.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009