How do you get or keep your hair shinny?

My hair used to be shinny when I was younger. For some reason, it's looking and staying blah... Not shinny at all. What are some ways that you put the shine back into your hair? How do you maintain it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• There are a few things you should do to keep your hair healthy. First, get haircuts regularly. If you want your hair to stay the same length, every 6 weeks, if you are growing it out every 2 months. Do not wash your hair daily. Every other day is good enough. This allows the natural oils from your hair to get all the way to the tips. Next use a hair mask weekly. The best I've found is one you can make yourself. Mix one egg, real mayonnaise, plain yogurt and olive oil. There isn't a set measurement for each, but base it on how long your hair is, once you've used this recipe a few times, you'll get the idea of how much to make every time. Mix that all up really well and put it in your clean hair for 20 minutes, then rinse out with hot water. The yogurt counteracts the mayonnaise, so you won't smell icky, you'll smell sweet.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• don't wash it! lol I would ask a beautician
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 4:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Only wash it every other day, rinse in the coldest water you can tolerate. for some reason the hot water takes out the moisture. I like the aussie moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. If you don't mind spending the money on it Paul Mitchel is awesome!! And cut or trim it up every 6 to 8 weeks. If you use a hair dryer, straightener, or curling iron use some kind of cream on it first that protects against heat damage. Only use ceramic flat irons and curling irons, they heat more evenly and don't remove as much moisture.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Definately don't wash it as often. And heat is bad, too. If it is long, use a natural bristle brush on dry hair. They distribute the oils from your scalp thru the hair and are not harsh on your hair. I used to do the 100 strokes a night and it worked wonders. That's what women did in the 70s and they had beautiful long shiny hair.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 5:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Rinse your hair for a full minute in cold water before you exit the shower. Also you sparingly use a shine serum - put a drop or two in your palms, rub in around in between your hands, and gingerly apply a light coat. Even if you don't color your hair you can get a clear glaze like Redken Shades down at the salon to boost your shine.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• i use cocconut oil works great
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I use biosilk serum...a little goes a long way! I've also seen on t.v. something about putting avocado in your hair.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• only wash it when it needs it, like its limp or oily. use a good conditioner and leave it in for at least five minutes. brush it out with a flat brush but stop when the tangles are gone. also, drink lots of water.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• the coolest water rinse you can stand, with a bath of vinegar water to cut the products
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• someone said the redken clear glaze, it's amazing try it. I use redken all soft shampoo and conditioner and have seen an amazing transformation in the quality of my hair, it's so super shiny I'll post a pic on my profile just add me.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2008