Has the vocab, but won't answer the question!

My son Luke is two-and-a-half, and is probably best described as a little hyperactive. Which leaves me (a first time mom) with a lot of questions. One of my many questions is: Why when I ask Luke (does something hurt?, where does it hurt?, what do you want to play with?) does he either not answer or get upset at the question? He has a huge vocabulary for his age I have been told and I know he understands the questions, I am wondering what I might be missing here.

youngmomof1

Asked by youngmomof1 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, i couldnt tell you WHY he does that but i can offer suggestions as to what might help him do it less.
    You might try offering choices. "Does your head hurt?" "would you like to play with the train or the car?" Not only will that help with you getting the answer you need it also helps him feel like he's got a bit of control which may help cut down on tantrums. Try to give him choices in as much as you can in life, "would you like the orange shirt, or the blue one?" "would like cereal or eggs for breakfast?" ect. ...just not too many choices at once or it will be overwhelming.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Agreed with PP. Be more specific. My 2.5 yr old doesn't always answer me either or she says "huh". Thats his new word. It drives me crazy because he says it about 100 times a day.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• he may be a little frustrated as even though he speaks really well, the ability to reason is still developing. Like the otheer moms suggest...limit the choices and give him time to answer.
    notquiteMartha

Answer by notquiteMartha at 4:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2009