Birth Mother and Biological Mother are the same

Why do people refer to a Biological Mother as a Birth Mother, when before a Biological Mother gives birth there DNA and there body is the reason that a child/children was brought into existence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2012 in Adoption

• What if the egg from a woman is fertilized and implanted into the uterus of a surrogate? Which one is the birth mother?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• A surrogate mom is not the biological mom. The surrogate is just being used as an incubator.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• maybe it's easier to say birth instead of biological

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• "That's one situation where it's so hard to make the call, IMO there's both a bio and a birth mom, bio who supplied the egg and birth who birthed the baby."

That's where I was headed with that, I think. Typically, they're the same but this would be the only case that would be grey, as far as I know.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• At one time the terms Birth mother and Biological mother were synonomous but with advances in medicine, science and technology that is no longer always the case. A birth mother is the woman who gives/gave birth to a child; a biological mother is the one whose egg was fertilized which carries the DNA. In the example Brawnwynll gave the biological mother is the one who supplied the egg and the birth mother is the one who has the egg implanted in her uterus and eventually gives birth.

The terms are only synonomous if the woman whose egg is fertilized is the same woman who later gives birth to the resulting child.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• How did we get the terms birth dad, birth siblings? they dont give birth
    Anonymous

• Biological mother sounds colder to me. I agree with you, OP, that "birth dad", etc., sound odd.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2012

• I think in terms of adoption birth vs. bio there is a distinction. Step mother is not bio or birth mother. I am an adoptive mother on message boards. Not birth, not bio. In a medical setting I use biological to determine medical history. If in session discussing adoption issues I use the terms birth or adoptive parents to clarify who we are discussing. Names are personal so I typically ask a person what they prefer, make a note of it, and as a sign of respect use what they are comfortable with. I like adoptive mom or birth mother when talking about adoption for ease of universal understanding. Just as I also prefer foster parent. But I never use foster child when naming a child in foster care. I say X who is a child in protective custody or X who is a child living in a foster care placement. I use the rule of thumb to go with what others are comfortable with.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:02 AM on Feb. 17, 2012

• Technically I guess they're the same. Bio mom sounds so clinical to me, birth mother conjures up the magical moment when the child is born and handed to the mother.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2012