Are electric cars really better for us?

There seems to be a lot of information that is pushed on us as consumers that make us think that electric vehicles are the future and that they are better for the environment, but are they really?

http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/15/air-quality-study-electric-cars-out-pollute-gas-engines/

from the article:

A Chinese study found electric vehicles in China are creating a bigger dent in the environment than gas-burning vehicles.

Whilelectric car sales now outnumber those of conventional gas vehicles two-to-one in China, fine-particle pollution has increased as the “green” cars’ popularity has increased.

Researchers found that generating the electricity used to power an electric car releases more pollution into the atmosphere than burning gasoline to drive. Particulate matter is a fossil-fuel byproduct that includes acids, dust, soil, organic chemicals and metals. The impact an electric car has on the environment is similar to that of a diesel bus, according to the study.

This is not to say that I don't support finding a more efficient power source, but should we be investing so much money in technology that has just as bad of an impact on us as what we currently use?  Or are the fossil fuel lobbies so powerful that we can't expect better technology?  

I know it's out there, but I am thinking that we will probably never see it.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I think when you go to electric cars you are just trading a high gas bill for a higher electric bill. I'm just not convinced they are more cost efficient.

I also think that if it's total electric, with the limited range on a charge they are more suited for local errands or commuters that don't have that far to travel to work and have a charging station while they are working. I want to say I've read the range is about 50 miles per charge and that goes way down if you use the heat or a/c, and you better not get stuck in traffic.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• when we all run out of oil, then the electric car or anything not run by oil will really be appealing to you. This is not far off. People always resist change and new things.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 an hour ago

It won't happen in your grandchildrens lifetime.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• No. They have to be powered by something. If you live where the electricity is produced by coal as I do, then it is just trading one fossil fuel for another. It is all fluff and no substance. Just drill and refine here. Tell the rest of the world to keep their oil. We don't need them. Then, things will change.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• Electricity is a renewable resource, oil isn't.
    -------
    Coal is not renewable. Neither is nuclear. Now, hydro is renewable, but that isn't an option in a lot of places. Are there any other methods for creating electricity which are renewable?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• methods for creating electricity which are renewable?
    ---
    hydroelectric turbines are the only renewable source as are wind and solar. the problem is finding a place, or enough places to produce enough for the demand the US needs. We are also now building power plants that burn wood and garbage which is renewable.
    there are companies putting these hydro turbines on the bottom of the ocean floor as we speak in the middle of the natural currents by the hundreds. and some small communities are putting them in riverbed bottoms and running cables to the banks. And damns are around but they just don't produce enough for demand either.
    Hearing the statement today that electricity is a renewable source almost made me fall off my chair, electricity is a product produced from a source. It's not the source itself. OH MY.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• I've wondered about this. They kept trying to push them down our throats but, it's like: they still use standard electricity, the same electricity that we (society) are accused of using too much of to heat & cool our homes.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• It'll be better for me by FAR.
    Producing electricity is DH's livelihood for 29 years now.
    I've been saying this for years, but nobody believes it or listens or cares. It will also cause coal to be used alot more which is a big polluter until all turbines Nationwide are replaced with gas or steam turbines or hydro or nuclear. Mountain top removal in WV caused the green groups to lose their minds in the 70's wth do you think they will do today?
    There are fossil fuel lobbyists, however when it comes down to what is the major cause of this issue?
    americans like their cars and are hooked on energy in all forms.
    Natural Gas is the way to go, the reserves in the US right now are phenomenal.
    DH likes they hydro powered car, even though they are ugly.
    the US has had the technology to produce cars with 50+ mpg for almost 50 years now. However they don't produce much revenue from gas taxes.
    LOL, I could talk all day bout this
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• They need to look at producing natural gas vehicles. The technology already exists.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• I'm very sceptical of electric cars. If you go on vacation where do you plug it in, if you are on the road and run out of electrical juice how do you refill? A gas car can go to any gas station or service truck could give you a gallon or 2 of gas to get to the next station.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2012

• No. My dh has done a lot of research on them and hybrids and they are not good for the environment long term.

Answer by gemgem at 11:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2012