Vaccine for the Rota Virus

I recently had my son get his 2 month vaccinations. One of them included the Rota Virus one. I wasn't given enough time to go through the paperwork to understand what it was about and side effects etc.. My other two children – Now ages 4 and 2- were never given this vaccine before. Why is it starting now? This virus has been around when my kids were younger, why are they now just putting a vaccine for it? Does anyone know if I decide not to get the rest of the rota virus vaccine (for ages 4mo and 6mo) will he not be allowed to enter school at the age of 5 because he doesn't have his vaccinations up to date? It just seems silly to me to give him a vaccine that will prevent throwing up, and diarrhea.. when the side effects of this ARE throwing up and possible diarrhea for a week... I just don't understand sometimes. Do all these vaccinations actually end up making our immune system weaker in the end?

TwinKleOut

Asked by TwinKleOut at 2:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Health

• The rota virus isnt as simple as you jsut said.

My friends son had it for 2-3 weeks. He was throwing up every few minutes, diarrhea was getting worse day by day. He also got a really high fever with it. He ended up in the hospital. So if you want to responsible, then you better give your child the shot. My friend's son suffered so bad i felt sorry for the little boy. He felt so terrible for almost 3 weeks. He couldnt eat, no sleep.

I never heard about this virus until i became a mother 18months ago. And im really concerned about it.

the vaccinations dont really make your system weaker. They will help you dont get anything serious!

i dont know if your child is allowed to enter school if he didnt get the shot.

maybe back then, when your other kids have been younger, they didnt really have a good shot to fight this virus. So they just start now.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Really? They have one now? How completey awesome. I think its great. Kids die from dehydration sometimes or have complications where they end up in the hosp with that virus. Thats great they have one to protect them from things like that. I absolutely understand the need for vaccines for diseases. I had a friend whose dd died from complications from whooping cough. I remember she didnt believe in vaccinations either. The guilt and feeling she could have prevented her childs death ate her up. I vaccinate my kids to keep them safe I know Id never forgive myself if they died because I questioned it.
    If youre uncomfortable with them being vaccinated then I guess you dont have to do it. I just like I said would do it. Sometimes the benefit outweights the risk.

Answer by gemgem at 2:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I didn't give this one. I no longer vax at all but when I was being selective it was certainly not on the list! I have a friend that is VERY pro vax and won't give this one. Her entire family becamse ill when it shed. There is no need for it. A parent who keeps thier child well hydrated could easily keep rotavirus at bay. ANd lets not forget that this vaccine was removed from the schedule in 1999 for causing intestinal issues in children. They put it back out, it had the SAME issues in 2007 but didn't remove it again. Certainly NOT worth the risk.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I vaccinate my kids, but I refused this one. After the last rotavirus was removed because of the problems it caused, I didn't want to chance it with my baby. My other kids never had to get the rota vaccine though.
    Anonymous