Desperate for help......7 month old wont eat for me or my husband.....

Mon-Fri my 7 month old gets about 35oz of formula. He gets a 4oz bottle in the morning when he wakes up. (that is all he will drink) and then gets 4 6oz bottles at day care. he has never taken more than 6 oz a feeding. And then will eat about 5-6oz before bed.....if that. The problem is the weekend is such a struggle because he will not eat for my husband or I. We are lucky to get 22oz down on a Sat or Sunday. its so frusterating, he never cries for food so you dont even know when he is hungry. So we just feed him every couple hours and he NEVER wants to eat! I know he is supposed to have about 30 oz a day. He does eat solids but doesnt love them either! And he will NEVER eat in public so basically we havent left the house but to go to work in 7 months. I dont know how to get him to just take 4 8 oz bottles a day. It would cahnge my life. We waste so much formula! Help

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 2:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seriously, i wouldn't feed him til he's letting you know he's hungry. All babies are not the same. Do YOU eat exactly the same amount of food every single day? Hold off, he'll let you know when he's hungry. And personally, I wouldn't want to eat formula either.
    Anonymous

• I agree, he will let you know when he is hungry. Let him develope his own schedule...don't try to force one on him, because (as you can see) that just doesn't work. And sometimes, as babies grow, they don't eat as much. And then they hit a growth spurt and it seems like they are eating everything all the time!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Talk to the daycare workers. Maybe they are doing something different with his feedings...

Other than that, I agree with the others as far as waiting until he tells you he's hungry.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• my son who is8months was just going through the same thing, last week, he normally eats all his food and at least 1 or 2 jars of baby food, and one day he refused to eat, it lasted for 5 days. I talked to his dietitian about this and she told me that it is not uncommon for infants to go on a hunger strike. She said it could be teething and it may hurt for them to suck on the food. I would look at his gums and check if they are swollen or red, or he is trying to naw on anything and everything. If it looks like he is, then it could just be he is uncomfortable. The things that worked for me were giving him a little tylenol about 10 min before feeding, and giving him his bottle cold instead of warm. Hope this helps a little
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 3:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I also agree with the other moms, your LO will let you know when he is hungry. With my son, sometimes he'll go four hours in between feedings, sometimes up to six. When I used to try to feed him before he was ready, he wouldn't eat and it would waste the formula. So don't worry, your baby won't starve, he will let you know when he's ready for more.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My son has never taken the amount of oz that they recommend. I told my pedi about this and she said that not all babies need that and as long as they are gaining weight do not count the oz they take in. My son is 6 1/2 months and he only takes like 19 oz on a GOOD day! He hasn't been eating well for me today or the past 4 days I think its b/c he's teething. I wait until he starts to cry when he gets super hungry and then he'll eat for me.
    jdblack78

Answer by jdblack78 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009