How many of you moms are looking at a job loss because of the economy?

How many of you have inescapable debt and are facing job loss?

How are you handling the situation?

How many of you have to redefine your skill set? I'm redefining my eight year education to a grocery store checker!

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 2:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• So far it isnt affecting me personally. My husband just went into a new field of work though due to the economy and people just not needing furntiure. He used to work for a factory that made it. We have cut back on things we dont need and plan on continueing to do that for the next 4-5 yrs, at which time we will reevaluate. We wash our own cars now, grow a garden with our own food, go to family for free haircuts rather then pay a stranger, learned to groom our own pets, let go of our handy man and gardener, stopped giving to certain charities etc. We all gotta do what we gotta do and this is what works for us.

Answer by gemgem at 2:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I was just layed off last week.....looking for a job is tough...lots of compeition out there. I am trying to get myself to except that I will need to take a huge pay cut.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 2:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The economy has not affected me! As a matter of fact, we are doing better now than we ever have. knock on wood!
    I might find a job just to get out of the house on a regular basis.
    Anonymous

• I am scared that I won't be able to find a job. 30,000 in student loans just to not find a job. I graduate this June. And, things are bleak here. Hospitals are all on freezes, lots of places won't be recieving funding for new grads.

Everyone says "oh, you'll have no problem finding a job as a nurse" BUT everywhere I call, thats all I here, we aren't hiring bc of the slow economy-try back later in the year or 2010.

My husband has a bachelors degree that he recieved in 03-has yet to find a job. He's given up. Everytime he goes to an interview, there is lots of other people there. Sad. He works crappy jobs till I get done, I know I am praying to God that I will find something.

You can only defer student loans for so long.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The economy is scary at the moment. I am a nurse educator so I do not work on the floor anymore. That put me on a more vulnerable position. Before the year ended, my boss held a meeting that because of the economy, the hospital is freezing hiring people and not only that starting early this year, the upper management will scrutinize every position and will let people go to save money. I was one of those mentioned by our boss "as an example"
    My husband is an engineer for a major corporation but even there many of his co workers have been laid off already.
    Thank God for a home business that we started, It gives us so much hope for the future that is not dependent on other people but on us. so if ever one of us loss our jobs, we have something secure and will help us pay our bills.
    GigglesRN69

Answer by GigglesRN69 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I worry about it every day. I"m trying to build my online business so that I'll have a back up. Right now I make about as much online as I do at my day job, so I would be ok if I lost my job!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I lost my job six days before Christmas. I thankfully have a homebased business
    http://www.momsofhealthandwealth.webs.com
    ginaisgreen

Answer by ginaisgreen at 8:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My DH got laid off last week. There are no jobs that are even comparable to the one he got laid off from. To bridge the gap until unemployment kicks in he's delivering pizza for his friend who owns a pizza shop. Otherwise, we are cutting down on everything that is not absolutely necessary. We are waiting to hear if he will be able to go to school, which would be great! Also, we will probably have to cash in the 401k. We don't want to, but there is really no other way that we can see.
    Anonymous

• i was self empolyed but i have been with out work for a couple of months so i gave up on that and i have been looking for a hourly job but so far no luck what so ever i was a contractor...
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The economy will never ever effect my work at home business. I've helped several moms that have been recently laid off start their own business as well.
    lfeldma2ns

Answer by lfeldma2ns at 9:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2009