FTS ultrsound and gender ???

Did anybody do the FTS first trimester Screeing where you do the blood test followed by an ultrasound to check babies neck and then another blood test? How did it go for you? Did anybodie Ultrasound tech take a look down south for you to tell sex of baby? I figure that is a pretty high tech machine and maybe they tech would be nice enough to do so for you since your there ???? Just curious??

momehopeful69

Asked by momehopeful69 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im really not sure what you mean. Because i got a blood test taken plus ultrasounds every week when i was pregnant. And of course at week 13 or 14.. or was it week 12... they check the neck ect. Which is just another ultrasound.

The ultrasound machine was the same as usual. Must be a really old doctors office with no upgrades since 5years if they dont have the new ultrasound machines ;)

To tell the sex of the baby it has to lay right. if it doesnt than the best machine in the world wont help it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• The test is called an First Trimester Screeing. I was just wondering if they will be able to see anything down south if I wait til 13 weeks? I heard they could it is possible but don't want to get my hopes up!
    momehopeful69

Answer by momehopeful69 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i had it done they did a blood and ultra sound and then went back for a second blood test few weeks later at the time of the ultra sound it is way too soon too see what the babies sex is have too wait for a second ultra sound for that and they usually wait till about 18 weeks before doing that one
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 3:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• They can try to see, but they will most likely be wrong. The best time to find out the gender is between 18 and 22 weeks.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree with reflect1light. You wont really find out till your about 18-22 weeks. As both my OB/GYN and ultrasound doctor said, before 18 weeks, things are swollen and look the same. But some luck out and find out a smidge earlier.

The first trimester screening thing, I have never heard of it. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks to see how far I was (periods are not regular), one at 9 weeks to check to see if the heart was beating. The only time that I have had a blood test during the first trimester was the first appointment at 5 weeks.

Just hang in there mama, you will find out soon enough...Good Luck
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 4:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I had a Nuchal Translucency where they do a thorough ultrasound and do take drops of blood.

Mine did try to see...and at 12 weeks we "suspected" we had boys. We found out during the 20 week ultrasound she was right. However....there was NO doubt about what we saw...they were displaying their penises for all to see!!

Even if they do take a peek, you cannot count on it being correct this early.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I had the option to do that kind of screening, but it only tests for 2 things, while the blood screening tests for 3 (I can't remember what exactly they test for though, check with your doctor). I chose to go with the blood test. I don't know if it's standard, but my doctor's office required that the FTS test be done by ultrasound by like 12 weeks, so it was too early to tell the sex of the baby. I know you are probably anxious to find out the sex of the baby, but they aren't going to be able to see anything clearly enough to tell you anything now. Most ultrasound techs (at least good ones) won't tell you the sex unless they are 100% sure anyhow.
    Soccer_Mama

Answer by Soccer_Mama at 10:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009