Does sex "induce" your period?

I was a week late and coincidentally we've gone almost a week without. Last night we broke the dry spell and this morning there it was. It's not the first time this has happened either! Do you ever notice this or is it just a coincidence?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2012 in Health

• Definitely! Mine sometimes has a slow start, but if we have sex on the day it comes, it comes in like a lion. And sometimes if it is a day or so late, sex will bring it on - I mean, it will start right then and there, during the sex or right afterwards. It always made sense to me b/c I know the penis can nudge the cervix during sex, which seemed like the trigger. I never even wondered about it, I just figured that's what was happening - I was full of blood, ready to start flowing, with everything sitting there right inside my cervix, and then he would bang on my cervix with his penis, and that would let loose the flood.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• it works for me. if i am a little later than i think i should be, sex will bring it on. if i am within days of it and want it to come a little earlier (say it is wednesday and we want to make plans for the following weekend) then it will almost always start it. but i have to be ready to start anyway.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 1:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• If it was time then why do you think it was from having sex?
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 1:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• it's just coincidental - definitely. There is nothing about sex, the action of sex or the exchange of fluids during sex that trigger a period.
    Sex, however, can help with cramps, can help induce labor, can get you pregnant. Sex definitely can't cause a period.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• Plus you're using all kinds of muscles in there during sex, so that also makes sense, your muscles (like in the uterine wall maybe, or just in the abdomen in general) would be working, and that seems like it would help things get to moving...
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• I believe if you are due for it, it can make it come because there has been a few times were dh and I will do it before I start my period becuase I don't like doing it on my period just feels so gross so we do it like the day or 2 before I start and I have started my period. I would go to the bathroom and I would be on it. So I believe so
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• Coincidence I think. I don't think sex can make your period come if it isn't time for it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• But it was time for it, it was just a little late.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• Just because it is very coicidental and has happened several times before. I can be a day late, 3 days late, a week late, but it seems like the moment we have sex after not having it for a few days the next morning I start
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• I looked it up & no, sex cannot induce period. It can; however, cause spotting and/or bleeding which can be mistaken for periods.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2012