Do you tip?

If you have had bad service do yo tip? I had this experience while on vacation this past week, and no we did not leave a tip. She didn't know what the specials were, she did not come back to refill our drinks, and then she had our order wrong. My feeling is if you tip bad service that is like rewarding children for bad behavior. So do you tip if you have had bad service?

lapcounter

Asked by lapcounter at 2:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'm worse. I leave a penny heads down on the table. I know it's not something that most servers know anymore, but it makes me feel better. Leave a penny heads up with the tip and it means the service was fabulous. Leave just a penny heads down and it means the service was atrocious.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 3:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I usually always tip:) Even if the service is bad and my server is a flake-maybe she is just having an off day or maybe he/she is new IDK.
    The only time I don't tip is when the server is blatantly rude, which futunately this has only happened once.
    Anonymous

• Sorry I meant fortunately haha.
    Anonymous

• Desert Diva that is very interesting thanks for that info. I didn't know that.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I used to be a waitress. If a server is a bad server you leave with one penny upside down. They know what that means. You can also leave a note saying why they were bad servers.

Answer by gemgem at 3:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• LOL...yeah, my mom waited tables in the 50s(then again in the 70s) and she taught us that when we were kids.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 3:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i always leave a tip unless the server is rude.
    my husband on the other hand? he has this really weird system for tipping. he's odd. his tip depends on his drink. if his glass never gets below half full, they can expect a nice tip. if it gets below half, the tip goes down. if it gets empty, there went any tip.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 3:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Well from being a recipient of tips for 10 years I appreciate all tips lol. I can say that from me receiving tips I always tip because I hated when someone didnt tip me. What I learned is that if the service is bad they need to know about it. I really appreciated when a customer told me hey this is not what I wanted can you fix it. Working with them gets a bigger tip. You never know whats going on as to why the person is not doing their job well. Sometimes they are having a bad day, they are human. Could be a disgruntled customer was very mean to them earlier. I just try to point out hey weve ordered this and you brought this. The only time I dont leave a tip is when the person doesnt listen, has a smart mouth, is very rude or disrectful.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 3:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I leave change (like a couple of quarters) if I have very bad service. I like that idea about the upside down penny!
    luvorange

Answer by luvorange at 3:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• PS....I have a friend who no matter where she goes she sits ten ones on the table. If the service is good by the time she leaves it is still there. Whenever the service is bad she starts taking ones away. It was hilarious when we went out and the waiter kept coming back to ask us we wanted but never came with food lol. He ended up with $1. I told her you know that was wrong lol
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 3:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2009