What is consider a high temp?

I took my daughters temp in her armpit and rectaly. I know they can very. Her arm pit was 101.0 and her rectal temp was 102.2. Should I be worried and do anything more then give her motrin and tylenol?

She also has a runny/stuffy nose. And a slight cough. I thought maybe she was teething (8 mo old and no teeth yet) and maybe that was why, but I am not sure. What do you mommas think?

logunsmommy

Asked by logunsmommy at 3:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A high temp can be from teething.. 101.7 they generally say to call the dr. Alternate motrin and tylenol every 4 hours and if it doesn't get any better call the dr first thing in the morning.. i am sure you don't want to take her to the ER with even sicker people around..
    Love2beMom

Answer by Love2beMom at 3:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i should have added try a warm bath. not hot.. that can help to lower the temp
    Love2beMom

Answer by Love2beMom at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I was told from the doctor if a rectal temp a rectal temp is higher than 100.2, under arm above 100 to take baby to the doctor. It could be that she is teething, I would watch her for about an hour after you gave her meds and if no improvement, i would take her to the er. Its better safe than sorry. If she is showing you she is in pain, and seems very uncomfortable then i would go. It's your instint that will work the best. If you think she needs medical attention i would just go. Hope she is feeling better soon. Take care
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 3:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I've never heard of teething causing a high-grade temp like that. I know they've been linked to cause low-grade temps (under 101).

I would wait it out. Keep her comfortable and try to manage the fever yourself at home. If she still has a fever in a couple of days then definately make an appt for the doctor. That means there's probably some kind of infection going on.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree with Love2beMom. I hope she feels better soon.
    murelzgirl

Answer by murelzgirl at 3:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I hope she feels better! Davin has been running a low temp (99.5) and has had a stuffy nose.
    deelucas

Answer by deelucas at 5:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2009