Do you think it is weird for a 1 year old not to eat solids?

My friend will not give her 1 year old solids. She thinks he will choke. He is underfed in general, how do I help her see this is crazy!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is still nursing then he is fine. Babies don't NEED solids untill one (or after) in some cases. She is his mother, and she is doing what she feels is best. If you suspect neglect, take it up with CPS, don't bitch about it on Cafe Mom.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Well as the other person said if he is breastfed then he doesn't need solids and my first didn't want them until he was about 11 months old. My second didn't want solids until about 7 months. Not feeding because of choking hazards is a little odd though.

Why do you feel he is underfed?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• no, she is not nursing. never did. and the Doctors have told her to feed the baby more, which she doesn't.

As for my "bitching" on cafemom, well, isn't this a place to get advice? excuse me for actually using this site for actual concerns instead of bashing, or asking stupid things like "can I smoke pot while pregnant".
    Anonymous

• Even if formula fed, they don't "need" solids provided they are receiving enough formula. It has all the nutrition they need.

However...yes, I do think it's weird for a one year old to not be eating any table foods (let alone "solids") She is not doing her kid any favors by not helping him to eat food. If he's under fed, I agree that CPS should be called before something horrible happens. (however, I do think the "bitching" comment was unwarranted as that is not what you are doing!)

I don't know that there is anything you can do to convince her. For whatever reason she is set in her ways...but her kid is suffering. I really think CPS needs to be contacted. Maybe the threat of losing her son will wake her up........
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think the baby needs solids ,and fruits etc.
    amy160

Answer by amy160 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2009