Im 16 weeks pregnant and im having intense pain underneath my ribcage

... and it very difficult to breath almost like im struggling. it leaves every so often then comes back again. What is it?

Jese07

Asked by Jese07 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had something like that when I got to be around 22 wks or so. My OB (who didn't stay my OB for very long) falsely told me I had a broken rib from the baby kicking...yeah it wasn't broken... You should talk to your doctor though, because I was told that pain under your ribs can mean it's pre-eclampsia signs. But it could also be your organs getting pushed around.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• it could also be your gallbadder. Does the pain go around to your back? Is it on the right side under your rib cage? I had gallbladder trouble through out my whole pregnancy. It literally takes your breathe away. Talk to your dr if he/she thinks it your gallbladder they will do an ultrasound to see if you have gallstones. It is very common to get during pregnancy.

myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Honestly, have you moved up a size with your bra? I had the same issue with my ribs and I needed to go from a 32 to a 34. With my second I was having the worst nausea and it stopped when I changed my pants to looser ones.
    Your ribcage expands as everything moves around and up, so even though it seems like you would only need to go up in cup sizes, you might need to go up all around.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i'm 16 weeks pg and this is my first pregnancy. i too am having the same problem. the pain is on my right side and radiates to my back. during my visit recent visit to the ob, i mentioned the problem and he said it could be my be my gallbladder. he checked my gallbladder with the ultrasound, but it was empty. it's very painful and sometimes feels like a burning, throbbing feeling. i'm very concerned. i notice the pain usually after i eat. i thought it was because of my bra being tight, but noticed that i still experience the pain when at home and not wearing a bra.
    gsoberanez

Answer by gsoberanez at 3:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009