Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can i claim my kids for a tax refund if i dont work?

my husband files for his job but because he always OWEs instead of getting a refund it would just come out of what he owes .. i know its all relative but we could really use the money instead of having it taken out of what he owes for the year ... any way i can file and claim them if i dont work? or do we have to file together now? (we have only been married 6 months so im new to this lol)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • No you wont get anything what you CAN do is file and file jointly. Go to a tax preparer and file an INJURED SPOUSE claim. My dh owed money and we did that and got our whole return back. It just means you are married and he owes and think your portion for you and the kids shouldnt be taken to pay his debt. Since you had no income there is a chance that they could take 50% but thats better then getting nothing. It also takes 90 days to get an answer. But with no income you would get nothing.

    Answer by gemgem at 3:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • You can't get money back if you don't put money in, i.e. pay taxes. Since you just got married, you'd file jointly.

    Answer by ap9902 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • Since you didn't work you don't have an income thus you didn't pay taxes and are not eligible for a refund at all.
    DOESN'T matter if you've been married for 6 month or 6 days as long as you file together ,since you have no income, this not only would help him in his taxes because now instead of claiming one (if he was doing that- he would of been better off to claim 0) he will now claim FOUR. With that being said you both maybe pleasantly surprised about the amount that may come back to you rather than what he'd have to pay in. Either way the money would come out of the same pockets.
    Do check with a tax preparer like H&R Block or alike. They will answer ?'s. Sometimes you can find deductions in places you didn't know you could get them.

    Answer by nightowlmama4 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • you have to pay income taxes to get a refund....

    Answer by AmaliaD at 9:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.