Would you be offended?

My sister is having her first baby soon. Her baby shower is in a few weeks and I thought about buying some cloth diapers for her. She plans on using disposible diapers but I know money is tight for her and the daddy-to-be and I have been in the position before of running low on diapers and not having much money. I figured the cloth diapers would probably come in handy from time to time. So, if someone gave you cloth diapers knowing that you would be using disposible diapers, would you be offended? If not, how many should I buy for her?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 3:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would get her a giftcard to 1800diapers.com instead that she can use if she gets low.. I know i would appreciate if someone got me some cloth diapers as a gift... but I don't think everyone would. there are so many misconceptions about cloth diapering especially that they are harder to use. I would hate for someone to never use them if I gave them as a gift.
    LoveMyBlessings

Answer by LoveMyBlessings at 4:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would cut the budget somewhere else. It could be perceived that you disagree with disposable diapers.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I wouldnt use them so it would be a waste of money. My dd is also broke and pans not to use cloth. Instead I am buying her diapers for her shower and asked everyone coming to bring one pack. Why not do that?

Answer by gemgem at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I have seen those cloth diaper cakes (which I actually received when I was pregnant with my first) and they are CUTE. Why not make one, or have one made, and tell her "joking" "Hey if you get in a bind you can use these...there cloth diapers. Isn't that a neat idea?" Something like that. I don't think that if you approach it with a good intention joke that she would get offended.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I like Lacey1012's idea. That way, you're giving her something useful, but in such a way that it won't be perceived as disagreeing, or being overbearing or anything else it could be called.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Nope, I wouldn't be offended. I used cloth diapers as burp cloths and use them now for cleaning rags.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would probably be offended only because you know that she is going to use disposable. Yes money can be tight, but they can save money by not buying name brand. DS is in disposable but I also use cloth diapers, but as burp clothes.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I am making her a diaper cake with disposible diapers. I don't disagree with disposible diapers at all because I used them with my son. I didn't know at the time how far disposible diapers had come along. I don't plan on buying her the plain white ones that you have to fold yourself. I plan on buying her something like this. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/. I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• She probably will be offended.

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Personally, if someone gave me cloth diapers to use as diapers (not as burp cloths) and they KNEW I was going to use disposable....offended isn't exactly the right word. But I would feel as though either they didn't listen to what I had to say, or they were totally so against MY choice as a mother that they were forcing their opinion on me.

I know that's not your meaning...but when you KNOW how she feels and what she wants to do....a gift card or package of bigger sized diapers for later would be more appropriate, I think.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2009