What ways can parent(s) use to avoid children talking OVER you?

I have five children, ages 13, 12, 10, 9 and 2. Most of them have a habit now of talking OVER me which is now becoming quite hurtful. I am beginning to feel as though I am an invisible Mom. I am also tiring over hearing statements such as "STOP talking over your Mother" by my husband. I know he is being defensive for my sake but it hasn't eliminated the problem. No matter what it may be...an argument, a suggestion, or any type of converstation...the kids have found themselves in a horrible habit of talking over me and interupting what I am trying to share with them. Please, are there any Moms out there that have gone through this and what techniques have been made to correct this behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Stop talking. When they talk over you, just stop talking. The two year old won't get it....yet...but the others...

Just stop talking and don't answer when they talk. When they ask why you won't talk to them, "Well, it's quite apparent that you feel nothing I say is important. So, you can answer your own question, get yourself to your activities and figure out your own schedule unless you wish to finally sit and listen to me."

Either that or stop them...and ask them if they didn't see your lips moving and hear words coming out of your mouth. When they say "yes" then tell them that theirs better stop.

Or....no matter the age...as soon as they say ONE word over you...time out. Don't say a word just point to the corner and tell them to stand in it with their nose in it. (standing makes them tired quicker! lol) Then tell them that when they decide to listen to what you have to say, they may come out of timeout.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would simply ignore what they're trying to say until they can learn to say it in a respectful way. If they want your attention and to be heard, they'll do it the right way! That's really disrespectful!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Take away their turn to talk. Mine did that so I got to where when one would start talking over me I would let them finish.... then I would calmly say.... it wasn't your turn to talk. You don't interrupt when others are speaking.... go to your room until I am finished talking then I will come and get you.... took a while but I did it and it worked...... but you have 5..... that's different... you may need a bullhorn.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• When my children interrupt, I stop and say to them, "You are interrupting me, you need to wait until I am done talking."
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• When they do this the next time, say "excuse me for talking while you were interrupting" . They have to stop and think about that one.

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2009