If you do not volunteer now, will you once Obama becomes President?

I saw a post that people were excited about his corp programs. I would like to know, what is stopping people from volnteering now.

What will change once Obama is President that will change your ability or mind on volunteering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I volunteered the last 8 yrs and gave to charities etc. Now that Obama is in I REFUSE. I think Obama supporters can pick up the slack.
    Anonymous

• Op here. I am curious. Everyone is talking about how wonderful Obama's corp volunteer programs are. But I am wondering why they aren't involved in charities and volunteering now? There are wonderful programs out there today that need people, ya know?
    Anonymous

• I can tell you what stops me from volunteering. The majority...no, actually, ALL of the volunteer programs/groups in my area are religious and I'm an atheist. I haven't found any secular volunteer programs in my area and the chances that I could form one successfully are little to none since faith-based programs are given priority in funding and I'm in the deep south. So, I stick to volunteering at my kids' schools and my local library when I can.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 4:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Why suck>? I didnt vote for the guy and its my volunteer time. I wont volunteer for things I dont agree with. I wont donate I wont do anything. Thats why it is VOLUNTARY. When I feel we have a someone who deserves my respect in office and someone I feel gives me a reason for hope, then Ill volunteer again. Until then this is your guys' (obama supporters) watch. Im on vacation.
    Anonymous

• Nothing will change for me. People still need help. And I will help people in need.
    Anonymous

• mizkaye, Wow, we have quite a few athiests in our volunteer Meals for Seniors program in my town. It is managed by the church, but they do it, becuase the care more about the people then they do themselves.
    Anonymous

• We have removed at least one answer from this question. Moms are looking for responses from other members that address the question they have asked. Please don't post judgmental answers, they're not appreciated and will be removed by the CafeMom Team.

< The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 4:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It's not a matter of caring more about myself...it's a matter of I will not work for a program that proselytizes. Our local Meals program is also faith-based and it's not just meals they are handing out...they pray and 'spread God's word'. Why would I do that? I won't volunteer for a religious group just like I don't expect a fundamental Christian to volunteer to protect women at abortion clinics. It goes against what I believe. I do donate money to secular groups...there's just not any in my area I can donate my time to is all...

mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 4:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Because you refuse to CONTINUE your volunteerism for a silly reason. To me, it shows lack of dedication to your community. How could you just stop volunteering cold turkey after 8 years? Stupidity or Sourness? I guess a bit of both.

The President-Elect should have NO bearing whatsoever on your commitment to bettering the lives of others who need help. Volunteering has NOTHING to do with him! How silly of you... It's attitudes like your that hold this country back. So, stay on vacation. I doubt you made a measurable impact on your community anyway... They might be better without you.
    Anonymous

• mizkaye, you are refusing to help people, because you can't look at the greater good?
    Anonymous