what age is a kid old enough to walk to the park by themself

my daughter is 9 and will be 10 this year the park is 2 blocks and is around the block

s.eliz

Asked by s.eliz at 4:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Never. I dont let mine go anywhere without a buddy. Too many psychos out there.

Answer by gemgem at 4:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• When they are old enough to drive. :-)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would say it depends on the neighborhood you live in. In my hometown or on th base we used to live at, I would let my 9 year old walk there. But where we live now, I'm not letting my kids walk to the park alone untill they're 18. I would think it would mainly depend on your neighborhood but also on your childs maturity level.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• She is still too small to defend herself from predators...so at her current age, it wouldn't be allowed.

I agree with the first poster...safety in numbers. Always have a buddy AND a plan in case something does happen. I think you should also test your kids ot be sure they know what to do.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It depends what kind of neighborhood you live in. If it's in the suburbs and they go with a friend I think that it's fine. Let her know that you will be chcking on her frequently. Even do this when she starts to get into boys, for what I hear kids are making out in the woods at the parks.
    Anonymous

• Also, kind of OT, but make sure you tell her that if someone ever approaches her and tells her not to scream, to scream anyway. If he is going to hurt her, he will do it no matter what and the screaming will most likely scare him off.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think it depends. My daughter walked to the park to meet her friends when she was 7. However, our neighborhood was literally two blocks. We knew the families that lived there. And, I could stand in my front yard and watch her from the time she left the yard until she arrived at the park. She had to cross the 2 streets to get there. Which was actually one, if you want to get technical, it was a one way. In one end, out the other. Here? Not a chance. And the park is even closer. I could throw a stick out my kitchen window and hit the park. She's almost 9, but I won't let her go to the park here without an adult. Period.
    Anonymous

• If you can't see her from the house then I'd be nervous about it, but it also depends on how "street" smart your kid is. My old neighbors allowed their 8 years old daughter and 4 year old daughter to go around the block to the park by themselves together (the 8 year old alone). They did very well with it. Looking before crossing, and coming home if there was naughty mouthed older kids, things like that, but it always made me nervous. Very smart kids... but still small.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 5:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It depends on several factors, your location, how familiar and comfortable you are with your neighbors within a 10-15 mile radius, your childs maturity, and a bunch of other stuff, but I was never allowed to go anywhere alone. Me and my older sister went and still go everywhere together pretty much. there is just safety in numbers. Maybe theres some other girls or kids around whose parents you know, you could work out a schedule to allow the kids to walk together to the park 3 or 4 times a week maybe?
    needsomehe1p

Answer by needsomehe1p at 7:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I live on a military base, so my answer is not going to be the same as most people's. I would let my kids when they were 8 and 9 go across the cul-de-sac to the park behind the houses. But we knew ALL the neighbors and hung out with them daily, and on a military base it is quite a bit safer. When we lived off base, they were not even allowed to walk down the street to the bus stop though it was in plain view of my house because of some of the crazies out there who would stop and offer kids a ride to school! So it basically all depends on the neighborhood and how well you know the neighbors!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2009