Stimulus checks and bailouts

I don't know much about government spending and such, but I was wondering where the government gets all this money to give everyone stimulus checks (not that I'm complaining!) and to bail out all these different industries, if we have a national debt of billions (or more) dollars?? Shouldn't we be trying to lessen the national debt and educate people on better ways to save and spend their money? I'm so confused... I enjoy getting that extra couple hundred dollars as much as the next person, but sometimes I'd rather just send my check back and maybe that chunk of change could help the country as a whole.

Amanda_Jeanne

Asked by Amanda_Jeanne at 4:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They're just printing off new money from what I understand. I would imagine it continues to decrease the value of our dollar.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We are borrowing it from other countries, mainly China, and just plain printing more money. Scary, huh?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• What stimulus checks? The only one I remember is the one that happened some time ago. If I am reading news reports correctly, President Obama will not be handing out 'stimulus' checks, rather the 'stimulus' will be in the form of a tax credit. If someone has a credible link stating that the new administration will be handing out stimulus checks..please share, as I am against the 'stimulus check' thingy. And I am a Democrat.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 5:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Ugh, no! All economist know that would be a disastrous move, as history has shown us...
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I honestly don't know anything about getting another check, I only got the one like you too, LilLizaJane. I've heard rumors about them sending out more, but I don't have any facts.
    Amanda_Jeanne

Answer by Amanda_Jeanne at 5:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Her question was not about getting another check. She is wondering where the money came from for the ones that we already received.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 5:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We dont have the money for what they are doing. We have borrowed money from here and there and eventually people will call their markers. I would much rather allow failed businesses to fail then do bail outs and not get a check if it means not being in debt. Not to mention itll be our kids and grandkids paying for that extra few hundred we get. To me a new big screen isnt worth my grandkids asking me why they had to pay off this huge debt.

Answer by gemgem at 5:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

I CANNOT BELIEVE I JUST READ THIS. THIS COUNTRY IS GOING TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET
    Anonymous

WHAT SHE REALLY IS SAYING IS, SHE LIKES HER STIMULUS CHECKS
    Anonymous

• For the millionth...no wait...the billionth time...there are going to be no "stimulus checks." The stimulus is coming in the form of tax breaks for the working class and creating new jobs to jump start the economy. There is no mention of a check and ANON 514, where did she say or even imply that she, "likes her stimulus check?" Such ignorance.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 5:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009