Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do if the plumber that did you the work did a bad job and charged you 2,000?"

now the pipes are leaking and he wont answer our calls and another bad thing is that he didnt give us a receipt so how can we report him?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

Answers (6)
  • No receipt? I assume you payed $2,000 cash?  I would keep calling him day and night....I would let him know that if he doesn't return the phone calls then you plan on taking it a step further such as court. Then maybe he will call back.


    Answer by Southerncharmes at 4:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • Well, I say you live and you learn. It sounds like you made a mistake in paying a "professional" to do a job in your home without having a receipt made up.

    Is he self-employed or does he work for a company?

    Always make sure the person you're paying to do a job is really certified to do the job they're getting paid for.

    If you have his name I would see if you can file a report with the police and see about getting a lawyer. My dad had this problem with the people doing the siding on his house and went after them with a lawyer.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • Well,if he didn't give you a receipt, how do you know its 2000. If he didn't fix what you are suppose to pay for, then don't pay him. Keep a record of all calls you make to him, any contact, and that will help you.Don't pay unless he fixes completely. He wants the money , you haven't heard the last of him

    Answer by Kat122 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • You paid someone $2000 and didn't get a receipt? You just threw that money away.... do you have ANYTHING that proves he did the work? Like did you pay him with a check or credit card maybe?

    Answer by PaceMyself at 8:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • yeah i paid him with a check. but it was back in 2006...

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • The date in which he did the work is important. Plumbers will guarentee work usualy for 30-90 days. Some larger companies maybe a year. But if the work was done in 2006 you really don't have any recourse. You of course can call and say you did work for me in 2006 and i'm having another problem, but you cannot expect him to come back three years later and not charge you again. These pipes can be leaking again for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with the job he did. Usualy if it's a shoddy job it will leak immediately, not years later. You can go to and post a report about him, but honestly, after almost 3 years it doesn't sound like he did anything wrong and he certainly is no longer under any warentee or guarentee with you anymore!

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.