Why should taxpayers be taxed at different rates? Everyone should pay no more than 10% of their income in taxes.Who should pay more and why?

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 5:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There is no law that says you have to pay any certain amount of tax in general. Only a taxable amount on what your adjusted income is. The trick is to lower your adjusted gross income to a point overall where your percentage is as low as you can get it.
    Anonymous

• What???????????
    I don't want to make the least I can. I want to make the most I can.
    I don't want to be taxed to death when I do!
    Grace
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• you lower your AGI, not your overall income. omg, the intelligence today on cafemom.
    Anonymous

• They base it on how much you make. If you make low income they will tax you lower.
    If you make high income they will tax you higher.
    Anonymous

• I think we should all pay the same percentage straight across the board. That way the ones who make more would pay more. Plain and simple.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Here is a bit of intelligence for you, smarty pants. GEEEEEEE!

The more money you make, the more you pay!
    Is that simple enough for you?
    Some people make so little, they don't pay any at all!
    Is this a fair system?
    (I already have the answer!)
    Geeeee!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We make 107k a year. We pay in roughly 25 percent to federal and state taxes, California's rip off disability (160 a pay period for something we will never use), social and etc. Then we pay sales tax on everything we purchase with the exception of unprepared food. We pay taxes on our phone, cable, Internet, gas bill, water bill, electric bill and gas at the pump. So when it is all said and done we pay way more than 25 percent. It is ridiculous and one of the reasons we have not been able to buy a home. I think no one should have to pay over 25 percent of their income to taxes of any kind.  The poor don't pay taxes or if they do get it all back and then plenty more.  The rich can afford the 35 percent they pay.  The middle income like us are who get the shaft and are the reason things are so tough.  We are the people that keep the economy going. 

Anonymous

• Your taxes go on your adjusted gross income after all of your deductions. Deduct more, pay less in tax. Duh. The overall percentage compared to your total gross income before deductions is less.
    Anonymous

• we're talking about percentages, not actual dollars, read the question.
    Anonymous

• pass the whine to go with teh violin
    Anonymous