could I be in labor and is this my water breaking?

37wks 5days, 70% Effaced, almost 2cm dilated as of this morning (at doc appt), having some clear fluid leaking, but unsure if it is my water breaking. The leak is not completely constant but baby's head could be blocking it I assume? Having contractions, but not active labor yet...

Asked by mommyof2tobe84 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've heard if it smells sweet then it's amniotic fluid. Sounds gross, but try sniffing it, lol. Your bladder could be leaking too. Lost any of the mucus plug yet?

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My water broke and it was just clear mucusy liquid! didnt have a smell. Id def. go to labor n delivery! Cuz if its the water the babys not far behind! Youd think itd be a big flush of liquid but mine just dripped out. Its not the easiest thing to know forsure. The docs werent even sure till they tested it!

Answer by lilmomme at 4:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Okay, so it doesn't really have a smell from what I can tell. I haven't had the "bloody show" associated with losing the mucus plug but have had more discharge over the past couple of days. The contractions are regular but very slowly getting stronger and longer in duration.

Answer by mommyof2tobe84 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Loosing the mucus plug really isn't an indicator. Some women lose theirs earlier on and others don't lose theirs at all. As far as the leaking, I would call L&D and tell them what is going on. They will more than likely tell you one of two things: Come in now or wait and monitor your contractions a bit longer. Either way, sounds like you are REALLY close if you are not in labor now! Good luck!!

Answer by coolmawmy at 4:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Best to go in and have it tested to see if it's amniotic fluid. If you lay down for a little while and stand up and feel it gush or trickle, it may very well be your bag of waters. You do sound like you may be in the beginning stages. Good luck!

Answer by faeriemamma at 5:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I walked around for a week and a half with my water leaking and din't even know it. Check with your doctor, they can do an amniotic fluid test on you. Good luck!

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I'd call the doc, better safe then sorry. With my first baby, the water broke in the hosp and was one big shooting a BB gun at a gallon of milk. With the 2nd, no leakage and they had to break the sack themselves in the hosp.

Answer by seakla at 12:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• go to the l&d you sound like your in labor good luck and the best of wishies to you and your new baby

Answer by edwardsleah at 6:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• So I asked this question 10 days ago and I am still pregnant... 39wks and 1 day now. My midwife has decided that she is going to have me induced no later than this wednesday. I guess good luck to me...

Answer by mommyof2tobe84 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2008