my mom said i cant go to the dentist?

some said i can when i asked on here couple day ago,.and my mom and aunt said i cant,.
the reason i wana go is because i want my tooth pulled..my gum on the top left side is swelling and it hurts really bad!!its a cavity they've worked on but now its still the same "worse" and its irritating,i can barely chew or smile,cant even eat on that side..ugh its annoying and its giving me headaches..
im guessing that a dentist for pregnant ladies wont do anything about getting a cavity pulled out????

misty91

Asked by misty91 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its not usually recomended to go because of the meds they give you there they can have an affect onyour baby i know how you feel i had to wait for my first to be born brfore i could go get my molers pulled lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You're supposed to go have a dental checkup while you're pregnant. If you have an infection in your mouth it can cause preterm labor. If you only need a tooth pulled, I would imagine you can just have a local anesthetic (novacaine). That shouldn't affect the pregnancy but I would definately talk to your OB about it. The dentist isn't a moron and he will know what's safe for pregnant women and what's not safe :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It's not recommeded to go to the dentist while you're pregnant, but I had to. I was I think 6 months preggo with my now 2 1/2 year-old and had to have a tooth pulled. They did an x-ray, but they told me that since it was of my face, there would be risk to the baby. I didn't have any pain relievers, just took tylenol, and had a mouth rinse that I had to use daily.
    If you're in pain, I would go. They should know at the dentist office what is safe and what isn't for pregnant women. Go with your instinct, even if it means going against your mom on this one.
    KaMomma

Answer by KaMomma at 5:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Right now im 34 weeks pregnant....So your saying my babys at risk if i get the xray on my face?????
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Is it safe to get an extraction while pregnant?

Women are often safer having an infected tooth extracted than leaving the bacteria in the tooth and risking the chance of an infection, which could compromise the health of you and your baby. Your dentist can assess the extent of risk for you and I recommend that you inform him or her before your appointment of your pregnancy.

http://www.dentistry.com/articles/Pregnancy_FAQs.aspx

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would think your OB and dentist could come up with a way to get that tooth out without endangering the baby. To expect you to go for another month and a half in excruciating pain and with possible infection is not healthy or good for you and baby.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i got a tooth pulled while i was pregnant. my mother works for my dr and i got the ok from her and the dr. you need to go because pregnancy does strange things to your gums

marissad

Answer by marissad at 7:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You absolutely can go to the dentist while pregnant. You cannot have xrays and the dentist needs to know to avoid giving you meds that will cause harm. But, you and baby can die from an abcessed tooth.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009