Developmental Delays

Has anyone taken their child to see a developmental pediatrician? My ds had his' 5 year check up today and she referred us to for a consultation because my son has difficulty paying attention and she is worried about his readiness for kindergarten. What goes on at these consultations?

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am just thoroughly impressed you doctor referred out rather than prescribing a adhd medication. Congrats you got a GREAT ped! :0) There are none anywhere near me (that I could find) so we went to a psychologist. But DS has Asperger's.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2012

• I went through that whole process with both kids - my real advice? Move to the wide open country and let the kids be kids.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:01 PM on Feb. 17, 2012

• My son has been to one, but he has autism.

Answer by missanc at 7:08 PM on Feb. 17, 2012

• Who said he had trouble paying attention, you or the doc? That is very common in boys.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2012

• He was unable to complete either the hearing or vision test without having to be reminded to pay attention a few times. We also have trouble getting him to focus on working on his letters and numbers. Honestly, I just thought he was just being boy, but it can't hurt to see what another doctor has to say or if he has any tips to help him learn better.
    amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2012