If people who make more pay more in taxes, is this not punishing them? If not, aren't they getting screwed for working longer, harder and smarter? When does all this turn into socialism?

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 5:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You are assuming that people who pay little taxes do NOT work hard or long or are very smart...that's silly on your part.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 5:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• What people fail to realize is that you are already paying more in taxes the more money you make. I can show you copies of my stubs where I would work 15 hours less in a pay period and my check would look almost the same as my full 80 b/c of taxes so if that's the case we are already socialists.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 5:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It becomes socialism as soon as the line between rich and poor drops far enough that the bleeding hearts who begged for it are affected themselves. It's always easier to be charitable with someone else's money.
    Anonymous

• Seems you've been looking over your business taxes this weekend and the amount astonishes you. And now you're angry. With 2.5 mil in sales I am sure you knew what you would owe. I would suggest 1. getting a tax attorney or a better tax attorney 2. get aware of what your tax laws are and how they change so quickly because Obama's new tax evasion and fraud dept. will be nothing like we've ever seen. Time to pay the taxes, not a good time for some.
    Anonymous

• if paying more taxes when we make more money equals socialism then we are already living it. When i was working 60-70 hours a week I paid a lot more taxes than when I worked 40 hrs. I hardly noticed teh difference in my take homw pay. In the NYPD I worked extremely hard. Many times in horrendous neighborhoods where I was getting shot at and getting into fights. THAT IS HARD WORK.and if I survived 71/2 yrs in the south bronx narcotics unit it's because I'm smart. Like anon said get off your high horse. I'm not rich but it doesn't mean I don't work hard. and it certainly doesn't mean I'm not smart.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Good advice, PP...or, she could always get an offshore account or move her headquarters to Dubai like Halliburton did...then she could get the money and not have to pay the taxes. That's what the REALLY hard-working, smart rich people do! LOL!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 5:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• OH and let me tell you one more thing, statistically and on a PERCENTAGE basis, the rich pay less dollar for dollar than the middle class. So if you're paying a high percentage you need an edumacation in taxes and small business you're paying more than your peers. Doesn't make for good conversation at the yacht club " who paid more in taxes".
    Anonymous

• All I know is the less you have, the more you get. The more you make, the more you pay. The more you save, the less you get. We are getting ready to send our daughter to college. Didn't save any money. Scarey, right? Wrong. If we did, we were told to get it out of college savings plans and if we didn't, don't. I won't work the summer months because that means we will get less to help pay. Why should I bust my hump all summer and at a second job when the gov't will make up the difference? Better yet, I am putting money into my own education, instead of my daughter's and that means even more for her. Whoo hoo! Working that system is fun...and profitable! Who gives a crap about dignity?
    Anonymous

• UhOh, OP, you got the high horse award. LOL.
    I know that if I were a top wage earner and had enough to keep me comfortable for the next 4 years, I would be kicking back and not doing any more than I needed to. I do see it as punishing the hard working. Not to say that the lower wage earners don't work hard, but they do get all, or practically all of their taxes back as a refund.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, anon...those poor folks are just LIVING it up...what with all their lousy education, poor health, inferior housing, low death rates, high crime rates...I am so jealous of those poor people!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 6:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2009