Question about doctor shopping

I have had pain for awhile. I would go to various urgent cares when it got bad for pain pills (every 3 months or so). It got real bad & I was referred to a specialist who confirmed a legit problem via mri & prescribed meds. The doc eventually dropped me. My primary care doc took over prescribing the meds & then sent me to a pain clinic where I've been going for months. Today the pain increased and I went to an urgent care. the doctor called the pharmacy to get a list of drugs I have taken. She saw all the narcotics prescribed by various docs.
continued in reply

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Health

• Keep in mind that some of the multiple names are from the same office, my primary care and the pain clinic. She said I could be arrested. But still gave me a script for vicodin. I torn up the script. I am afraid she will call the most recent prescribing doc and tell him. That would be my pain clinic doc and he would drop me (rightfully so). Do you think she will call? She said it's not worth her time. Do you think she will still call? Will I be arrested? I am not taking pain meds anymore. I am done. I will deal with the pain.
    Anonymous

• If she still gave you the script, then no I don't believe she will call the cops on you. I don't think you will be arrested. You're right. the pain clinic doc may drop you though. With everythng going on, they have to protect themselves. I've heard of people being arrested at pharmacies though. Usually, it's for using different names to obtain scripts. By law, a pharmacy can't give you a new script until the one you had most recently is done. Sometimes, they will give it to you a day or so early.
    I know you're freaking out. Don't. That doc probably wanted to scare you. Sorry you ditched the Vicodin script. In my worst days of paranoia, I never even did that. LOL. By the way, if you do get hauled in to jail, you're a drug addict, if you don't have any priors you can do drug court. And I say that being serious, not rude. I've been where you are, I understand. Goodluck.
    Anonymous

• I would say I am addicted. I have been on them so long that there is no way I wouldn't feel withdrawals if I stopped taking them. So, yes I am an addict. I the pain clinic would drop me if they found out. My question is, will they find out? Do you think she will call? I mean she was pretty hardcore about the possibility of being arrested. She wasn't messing around. Rightfully so... it's her license on the line as well. I don't blame her for trying to scare me. She was informing me and doing her job. She is obviously a good doctor. I just don't know what the possibility is of her calling the doctors on the pharmacy list.
    Anonymous

• I honestly don't know if she will call the cops or not. As far as her calling the pain clinic, that's a possibility. She was the Urgent Care doc, right? And she called the pharmacy. hhhmm. I don't know if she will or will not call the pain clinic. When was the last narcotic prescribed and for how many and how often? If it's too soon, the pharmacy wouldn't have filled the vikes today anyway. But I don't know if going to urgent care today and complaining of pain is really something that's illegal, ya know? Selling your script, or using a false name is illegal, going to a doctor is not.
    Not much you can do. I guess you'll hear from the pain clinic if they are contacted. Be careful coming down. If you have any pain pills at all, try to space them out. Self detox sucks.
    Anonymous

• I heard doctor shopping is illegal, regardless of whether or not you use false info. The feds also apparently keep track of who gets narcotics also. If you try to get meds from more than one doctor it's illegal. I have also heard of pharmacists calling the cops when someone is constantly filling scripts from different doctors. Your insurance also keeps track.
    The last one was prescribed Jan 2nd. 90 pills 3x daily. I get it filled at the hospital pharmacy where the doc is that prescribes it. The pharmacy she called was walgreens. Their last fill from me was Nov 18th.
    this whole week I am going to be waiting for a phone call telling me I have been dropped as a patient. They may even wait until I call to make an appointment to say something.
    I was going to take 2 a day for a week, then 1 a day for 5 days and then half a day for 3 days.
    Anonymous

• Original Poster: PM me if you want to. I know people who have been where you're at. I understand you posted anonymously for a reason, and I totally understand, but I don't judge.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I used to work in Urgent Care. The docs would investigate but then prescribed accordingly (or not). We had a list of "seekers". The investigated if they were suspicious but I don't think they ever followed up and called another doctor or clinic. I don't know if that's because they wouldn't do it or because Urgent Care is see and release. It wasn't a place where doctors followed up or saw return patients. Consider it your wake up call.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009