My baby is 9 months old and has completely weaned herself. I give her solids, vitamins, water, etc. Should I be giving her something else to supplement the nutrients she is no longer getting from breastmilk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You mean weaned herself from the breast? If so, I believe that you should try expressed milk until she's a year old...or formula. If you mean weaned herself from milk at all, I guess I don't know. My understanding is that a baby should be getting almost all of their nutrients from bf or formula until they're a year old. I'm sure those guidelines are squishy depending on your baby's stage of development...
    mysweetalex

Answer by mysweetalex at 4:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I agree totally with mysweetalex.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• did you know that we are the only mammal that gives milk to our children AFTER they are done breast feeding? i believe because its natural to stop after so long and we can get calcium from other things needed. i wont give my children milk .. at all...at least not to just sit and drink.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 5:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My daughter was the same way. She was eating solids at about 7 or 8 months. I never gave her breast milk because it never came in for me. Once she was able to eat food I took her off formula and put her on vitamin d milk. I give her a vitamin a day and buy that flouride water. She is getting the nutrients she needs from her vitamin and veggies.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 6:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Giving a child regular milk before they are 1 can cause them to develope an allergy to it. That is why we are told no milk before 12 mos.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 7:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2008