Why can't we be friends?

Why can't we ditch the hate over the election and get to know each other as MOMS first? Being a Obama or McCain supporter is ONE aspect of someone's personality. Why can't we reach across the aisle (which was mentioned in the campaigns often) and make a friend? Democrats think Republicans are too closed minded and cruel, Republicans think Democrats aren't religious enough and moral enough. Why can't we STOP this BS and be friends? Being a particular political party is only ONE part of who we are. I for one- am willing to befriend ANYONE as long as they are kind, loyal, and true. Your political party does NOT define who you are as a person!

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 6:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Amen...........lovetoteachec
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Not trying to be rude.. but obviously your not letting it go. Just don't worry about this :) have fun and talk to other moms and don't worry about who they voted for and who they wish won and yada yada yada. =D
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Regardless of who won the election, I still have to take care of the hubby, kids, house, finances, and my job (oh, and let the dog out on occasion). I have a polysci background and so I know not to let the rants get to me. There are so many other factors to consider when determining whether an individual will get the job done, and I'll say it again - CONGRESS is the problem.

If you were given a job for life if you wanted to, in which alot was expected of you but you didn't need to necessarily show any results, wouldn't you do everything possible to keep that status quo? We need TERM LIMITS. If the POTUS is given only so many years, then why do we have senators and congressmen who "serve" over 30 years of their life even though they have nothing to show for it? And who can vote themselves a raise during a recession, like they did two weeks ago?
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Well, one of the biggest reasons no one will take you seriously on "wanting to be friends" is because YOU are the one who put up the very ugly post about the "sore losers." You can't have your cake and eat it too. Make up your mind. Do you want to make friends, or be mean and spiteful? Can't have it both ways. If youre' serious about wanting to be friends, you need to delete that other nasty post,and start trying to make nice. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• That's a valid opinion. I guess people are missing out on the MEANING of my first post- IM TIRED OF MOMS BASHING OTHER MOMS about political things- I read several in other posts besides my own. The point of the other post was that I wanted people to stop bashing others because they voted for obama and acting like sore losers- by the same token I would like to again reinforce that we SHOULDNT bash each other for political beliefs which is why I made this post.
    lovetoteachec

Answer by lovetoteachec at 6:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• True, but as I said, you need to decide if you want to be seen as a peacemaker, or a troublemaker,and right now, your'e not coming off as a peacemaker, as long as that other one is up. If others want to say nasty things, let them,if you truly want to as you said, reach across the aisle,it has to start with you. You seem like a real stand up person,who can take the high road. I'm sure you will.
    Anonymous

• Well, for one thing, I think a lot of Democrats are close minded and cruel and I don't particularly care what their morals are. So many define Republican and Democrat the way you did. My bf's son told her he couldn't understand how she could be friends with a Republican. Nice. Makes me wonder what my "bf" and/or her husband think. There isn't respect for the individuals we are. First of all, I am not a Republican because I am a Christian and conservative. I am entitled to my own opinion and regardless of what it is, I don't need to hear how it isn't right. I'll give you the same respect.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree with the above posters. It's even the mention of winners/losers, McCain/Obama, Republican/Democrat. I wish we were all just Independants. BTW, I don't mean to say Dems are cruel and close minded or Reps are morally superior etc. I just meant we have experiences with and as individuals and stereotyping like that starts us off on the wrong foot. Given the opportunity, most of us can be mean spirited or good willed.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• well i am neither party....but i think its because people have such different views on things....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think when it comes to politics...your party affiliation is MUCH MORE than just one facet of your life. I believe your party affiliation SHAPES your lifestyle to a large degree...the choices you make, the work you do, your wants, needs and desires.

You don't see very many Liberal Republicans out there, now do you?!
    Anonymous