Would this be a cruel punishment for a 7 year old?

I dont necessarily see it as a 'punishment', but i am hoping it will help him to understand that he needs to take better care of himself...

My son has beautiful shoulder length blonde hair which he and everyone loves. the problem is, he refuses to take care of it. He hates me to brush it, and will not make any effort to really clean it in the shower. Since I am busy with 2 babies, I cannot monitor his every waking moment in the shower, and I refuse to wash his hair for him as I have showed him and instructed him countless times in how to wash and rinse it properly.

I am tired of his hair being stinky and and unkempt, and I have threatened already that if he doesnt want to take care of it, it gets cut off. Well, we are at that point. Would it be so terrible for me to cut it off? I always follow through with ym word, but I am having a hard time convincing myself to cut of those lovely locks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it's too much trouble, and he doesn't like it being brushed, I would cut it off too. It's just hair, and if he misses it he can always grow it back.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2012

• who's choice was it for his hair to be long? if it was his choice and he is not taking care of it, then it would be an appropriate punishment. if it was your choice to keep it long and you expect him to care for it, then cut it, it will not be a punishment.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:33 AM on Feb. 18, 2012

• My dd had hair to her butt last year and it got to be too much to take care of so we cut it. I dont even see that as a punishment but good hygiene at this point.

Answer by gemgem at 11:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2012

• well ofcourse we like it long, but it has been his decision/ choice to grow it and keep it long. yes believe it or not my kid makes his own choices.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2012

• My granddaughter is seven and I still help her with her hair every day. It's just curly enough that it rats up quickly if she misses a spot.

If it were me, I'd keep sending him back to the shower if he doesn't wash and condition it correctly (you don't eve have to stop what you're doing to do that) and then help him keep it brushed appropriately.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:57 AM on Feb. 18, 2012

• If he is refusing to take care of it then it should be cut.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2012

• I would cut it, but not as a punishment. I would cut it because I told him what you told him. You can't make empty threats and expect your children to believe you. Also, when my children were 7 years old, they were not mature enough to take care of themselves and their hygiene without help. I think today parents expect independence a lot sooner than we did 30 or so years ago. I see a trend in that children who don't have the skills to do things the way parents expect them to tend to give up and not care. They seem to tire of trying to please Mom and Dad when they simply are not yet able to do the things parents are requiring.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2012

• I would cut it.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2012

• Here's the deal I made with my daughter - either you take care of it or it gets cut off. End of story. She has to brush it every morning and before bed. I plait it to make things easier. She knows that if she wants to keep her long hair that it's up to her. Just a question of responsability...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2012

• It seems as if he's too young to take care it it. I would cut them and let him grow them back when he's responsible enough
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2012