how do i produce more brestmilk to keep on brestfeeding my 10 week old baby

gwendolynb

Asked by gwendolynb at 6:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mothers milk organic tea
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 6:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Nurse ON DEMAND. Even if it seems too soon to nurse again. Offer first breast until baby comes off (no timing, don't look at your clock!) then, burp, and offer second breast. If baby takes the second breast, nurse until baby comes off on their own again, and re-offer the first. Many babies don't take the second breast, and many babies do, and go on to nurse on the first side again. This constant nursing is how your baby tells your body what it needs to do, how much, etc. Trust in yourself. Trust your body. If you baby is having 4-6 wet diapers a day, then you don't have any problem. This is the only indicator of supply. Pumping means nothing, fussy baby means nothing (usually) and frequent and long nursing sessions mean nothing!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i took fenugreek for awhile, with my doctor's approval. it helps to boost your milk production. i still ended up drying up after around 12 weeks though.
    rafasconejita

Answer by rafasconejita at 8:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Nurse more. The more you get rid of the more you produce. Get a pump and when you are not nursing pump for a little bit. I always tend to over do it. I get to the point where I think I could nurse a small country. I just go pumping crazy.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Nurse more. Nurse EVERY SINGLE TIME the baby is hungry for as long as baby wants! Watch your baby...not the clock! Ditch any bad advice like "For 15 minutes on each side every 3 hours." YOU were told that, not him!

Nurse, nurse, nurse....and then nurse some more. :) Its supply/demand. The more demand...the more supply. The less demand...the less supply.

If baby goes more than a couple hours being awake without any hunger cues offer nursing (and that doesn't just mean say "do you want to nurse" he doesn't know what that means yet. It means attempt to nurse.)

The advice that Krysta above me gave is GREAT!!!

To elaborate on her "pumping means nothing" comment. Pumping is great if you have to work or to provide additional stimulation. It SUCKS as a guage of how much you're producing/baby is getting. The pump is no where near as efficient as your baby. He may nurse and get 6oz while you pump and get 1.5oz.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009