Can you talk/think about your own death?

I'm comfortable with talking about and planning for my own death, but my sister is the extreme opposite. My father has planned and paid for his own arrangements so that when he passes, all we have to do is grieve, not try to plan and come up with money for a funeral. I think that is a tremendous gift and I would like to do that for my daughter.

Anyway, I don't like to think about the whens/hows of death, but I can comfortably say it is going to happen someday and I could sit down and make arrangements for my medical wishes, wills, funeral plans...that sort of thing...but it would send my sister into a panic attack to do that much.

So how do you feel about it? Can you think about it? If not, what is your biggest anxiety about it? How it will happen? What will happen with your kids? That sort of thing?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Death is very scary to me, I don't like to think about it at all...but I could do things like planning as far as picking plots, funeral and will arrangements.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I don't have a problem with it. Before I met my husband--my mother and I talked about what we wanted when it was our time (I was a single mom). My father didn't want to hear anything about it so she had to tell somebody what she wanted and vice versa. My husband and I have no problem discussing this though. Thankfully. And not to start any problems..but I think the reason why I am okay with talking about death is because of my faith.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I can talk about my own but not anyone else's.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I can. I had to. In 1998 that I was told that I was going to die within a year.

(still here 11 year later..... na na na boo boo!)sticking out tongue

Now I can't talk about my husband's.... I start crying every time.....

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I'm with Pacemyself on my husbands death can't talk about it. Mine however I can and I have. I told my hubby all of that he said it freaked him out, but I wanted to be sure he knew what I wanted.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 7:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I had breast cancer eight years ago. My kids were 8 and 4. The first thing I thought was "thank God it's me and not my children". Then, I thought about my children without me. That was the most painful thought. My SIL died from cancer when she was 31. She feared for her family with out her, not her own death. The idea of planning my funeral is a comforting one. Believe me, when you are sick like that, your husband isn't in any position to plan a funeral with or without you. I think I would like to at least document how I would like my funeral to go. I hope to get involved in hospice someday, to help me understand that death is part of life. It can be bitter sweet.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I have no fear of death....I just hope it happens fast when it does. What stinks about thinking about my death is my kids.....I would hate for them to experience that kind of pain and to be honest, I'd be a little scared as to what my husband would be feeding them all those years without me.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I actually got the chance to work a little in hospice when I was doing long term care and one of my patients got put on hospice. It was a great experience.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My husband and I talk openly about it with each other and our children. I have also had many conversations with my parents about their death. It is a fact of life.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It does not bother me to think about my own death, but I do pray that it doesn't happen before my kids are grown. This life is temporary and death is a fact we all have to face!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2009