Who gets to pick the name?

When you have the baby who gets to pick the name? how does it usually work

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• we picked names together. the first two were agreed on. they were named for specific reasons. the third we literally drew out of a hat. we couldn't decide between three names we both loved. the one we ended up with was one suggested by my sis in law.
    Anonymous

• we picked together however my hubby LOVED the name Mason and i wasn't crazy on it but i knew how much he liked it so i gave in and now i LOVE the name too :) I
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We looked through names together or came up with names on our own and discussed them. For us as soon as we heard a name we both knew that was the one. I know that if we have a boy next, he really wants the baby to have his first name...and honestly I'm not crazy about the idea-but being that it is somewhat of a tradition in his family and he's really being adament about it...I'm going along with it. I get to pick the middle name though.

But I think that it is important for it to be a mutual decision. Afterall, he'll be calling the child by that name (as will you) for the rest of his/her life-so it should be something you both like.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• it is a joint decision.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I was a single mom the first time around, and so i did all the picking. With my second one, it's me and him and we have different views on names. But i think it is a joint decision and should be agreed upon. Unless the dad is just a loser.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 7:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Thats something that should be decided together. Its funny, my husband and I disagree on most everything (its part of our charm), but we found that part easy :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• with both my girls i picked out there names with my first i was alone from the time i was 2 months and with my second little one now he said he didn't care it was up too me ... i asked him about it though to make sure he liked it only thing is now is the last name part with her we aint married and i HATE his family they didn't want her too be born so we will see what happens with that when she comes
    Anonymous

• If both parents are going to be involved then you have to figure out some form of agreement. Or a name both people can agree on. My first child is Evan Tyler I was single for that one so it is all me...my second is Lilly Autumn which I came up with and my partner agreed on. the upcoming baby will be Aidan Alexander---I thought up the first name and we both liked it, and my partner came up with the middle name and we both liked that too. I couldn't give my child a name i flat out didn't like but it is important to remember that daddy has as much claim to the baby should he want it...lol
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• lol, Daddy decided!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• my husband and i are getting divorced and hes not around for anything so i got to pick everything.
    metallicakh39

Answer by metallicakh39 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009