• In the Spotlight:

Am I wrong?

Hubby bought a 12g shotgun for home defense, at first I thought I was ok with the idea until it got here. I shot it (at a target), thought I would feel better after that and I don't. He's gone a lot and wants us to be safe w/out him here. He wants me to take it out and practice shooting it but I don't feel comfortable with it by myself. He's upset with me now, say's he's only looking out for us. I don't know how to explain to him how I feel. Am I worng, should I try to get used to something I hate? Am I being too stubborn? Please only answers to the question, I know everyone has opinions on guns, I'm not looking for that.... Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Could it be the size? What about something smaller? A handgun? If you are uncomfortable with it, then you are uncomfortable with it. There is nothing wrong with that. It's how you feel, and your husband should understand that. Is there a compromise you can make? Self defense classes? Pepper spray? a handgun? Good luck.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• is the gun in general that makes you uncomfortable? or maybe the size of it? would you be able to compromise with a smaller one?
    Anonymous

• My problem is having it in the house, i dont feel any safer with it here then I did w/out it,
    He's mad because he spent $400 on it and now I won't shoot it, I told him if someone breaks in and I have to protect myself and our kids I would use it. I just don't know how to make him understand I would rather practice with him here, not by myself.....
    Anonymous

• it is dangerous for you to have a weapon in the house that you are umcomfortable with. try smaller or just plain get rid of it and go for an alarm system.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Guns are not safe in general. Statisically, your more likely to hurt one of your family memebers than an intruder. I grew up around guns and didn't have a problem with them until i had a baby. Ever thought about getting an alarm system? And do you live in a neighborhood where that would be something your worried about? I mean, if there's a low crime rate, then is it really necessary? I'm not saying don't protect your family, i'm just saying there are better and safer ways to do it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 6:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It's like anything - you've got get used to it. Practice, practice, practice.

Imagine situations in which you would use the shotgun - run some drills.

Your DH is a doll for wanting you to be prepared. But honestly, a handgun may make more sense.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• yeah i do agree about your gun opinion, i'd be parinoid about it and worry about if the kids would be near it and whatnot.

i rather not have that on my mind constantly, but i do have a bat i keep beside my bed because i just found out recently that there was some people walking around my nieghbor's house.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think a small pistol would make much more sense. I am much more comfortable with a pistol versus a rifle. I can see your side, but I also see your husband's side that he wants to know that you can protect yourself should you need to. I just think that he should have taken you shopping with him and let you choose what you felt comfortable with.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• LOL you sound like me; ya big ole cry baby girl... sorry.... that's what I call myself too. A shotgun is way more intimidating than a hand gun, but any gun can make you feel uncomfortable if you're not comfortable with guns. Yeah, in a lot of ways you're being a baby about it (refusing to go practice because he can't go with you).... but us girls understand that. Most, well, plenty of us just aren't the big ole butch bitch type who spit and carry guns in our back window.... that stuff is left to the guys. But still, if you're in a situation where you and he made the decision to get the gun for protection, then you need to put on your big girl panties, spit on the dirt and suck it up.... learn to handle the gun because right now, it's handling you darling. You're way to worried about this... the best way to secure a situation is with knowledge and respect. Know your gun and respect it's power.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• is one you could be comfortable with. a shot gun is harder for some women to handle. my bf got mad when i shot his and the front end would drag on the ground cause i couldn't handle the weight when it shot. you have to feel comfortable when you one otherwise your aim will be off.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009