newborn baby is a trouble eater

my friend recently had a son. he's like a lil less than a wk old and wont eat. her doctor wont help her so im trying to resreach as much as possible to help. when she breast feeds he just pplay wit her nipples shkaing his head side to side. so she got so frustrated she pumps and bottle feeds. when i did that my daughter had no problem but her son still wont take it. i know hes hungry because he's lost to much weight according to her doctor. any suggestions/

SummerMom072208

Asked by SummerMom072208 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is putting him to the breast when he is too hungry. That is what that means. She needs to offer the breast every 30 minutes to get him used to nursing. When they get too hungry, they just get frustrated because it take talent to nurse.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Get her in touch with the local La Leche League! They can and will help! They can see what the baby is doing, and help pinpoint what the problem is.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I had the same problem when I brought my son home because a nurse in the hospital gave him a bottle when I was breastfeeding and he got nipple confusion.
    Tell her to put the baby to the breast and lightly run her nipple from his nose down to his mouth - she will see him instinctivly open his mouth wide and when he does that tell her to have someone help her "shove" the baby onto the breast .. if he is not latched on right, repeat until he latches on. Hope that helps. I had to pay a lactation specialist to help me and that is what she had me do and it worked great
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 7:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree with the above posters and tell her to find a new doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• just because he is losing weight doesn't mean he is not eating enough .. babies are supposed to lose weight at first before they gain weight although all babies don't lose weight. Tell her to talk to her ped. about it
    Anonymous

• She said the baby has lost too much weight according to the doctor!! To me, that's a pretty good indicator that it's not eating enough!

And if the doctor can say that and not help her...then she needs to find a new doctor.

Right after she gets in contact with LLL,
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• A newborn will lose ten percent of birth weight. Some doctors panic too soon,.

Can you send her over to the Breastfeeding Moms group? I think we can help her out.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i would look around for a new doctor that doesn't seem right that they will not help her also she may want to go and get some formual and try and see if he will take that all babies are different i know with my sister her son just wanted nothing to do with breast milk but took the formula with no problems
    Anonymous

• I would try formula. Some babies just don't take a liking to breastmilk. Sad but true I know. Obviously the problem is not with latch on or nipple confusion, as child doesn't eat from the bottle either. I ould also try a different doctor as there may be an underlying problem. How many diapers does the child use a day. He could have a blockage of some sort
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would have her get in touch with a lactation specialist.
    Also, have her try to get her milk to let down before she brings the baby to the breast, he might be looking for instant gratification like he is getting from the bottle.
    Make sure the bottle she is using is one that works well for breastfeeding with a nice SLOW flow... breastflow or adiri work well
    She might need some extra hands to help her.... someone drop some expressed milk onto her breast while she trys to latch him... so that he figures out where the milk comes from
    -As for the pp I don't know any baby that would rather take formula over breastmilk! They may take to bottle feeding over the breast... but what baby would like formula more? eew, have you tasted it!? (and my son gets both on occasion, so no, this isn't a formula bashing session)
    And again... what!? It seems to have everything to do with latch and nipple confussion (or flow confussion)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2009